More about Bangkok..


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 11th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Despite the insecurity concerning my bag that still wasn’t there, we decided not to stay too long in Bangkok anymore, but to book a train to Chiang Mai for Tuesday. Hopefully the luggage would arrive before that time, if not, they would send it to Chiang Mai. But, aiaiai, easier said than done. So many decisions need to be made. Which train, where to stay, to arrange it all there, or to arrange it at an agency in Bangkok, etc etc. Eventually we decided to book the train, a trekking trip and the hotel in the TAT, a governmental tourist office that was advised to us by many Thai. So still a bit of luxury, by not having to search a hotel ourselves. And, very usefull, this way we could leave an address with the airlines where to deliver my bag..

But first we had two more days in Thailand. We decided to explore some other transport possibilities than the tuktuk, so we took the a boat through the river. The water was dirty and smelly, as everything in Bangkok seems to be, but the view was nice and it was very fast, so definitely an good experience. After that we took the recently built skytrain, which is a more modern version of our subway system. The skytrain showed us a completely other side of Bangkok, a very modern side. The contrast between the old, poor side of Bangkok and the rich part with its skyscrapers is huge! The skytrain brought us to Siam centre, the newest mall in Bangkok. It reminded me a lot of the malls in America, everything was very western, the shops, the people, and, too bad, also the prices.. However, it was definitely good to see something more of Bangkok than just the tourists- part. We also went to the biggest aquarium of the world!! Pretty cool, as long as you can force yourself to forget that the entrance costs you more (10 Eur pp) than an average nigh in a hotel!! However, it was worth it. Cool detail: some Thai women wanted to have a picture with us on it, hihi.. Don’t know why, but Thai women really like the western look.. I’ve never been told by so many women (!) how beautiful I am, haha..Back to the hotel we decided to do like the locals and took the bus, which is not very comfortable, but it is extremely cheap!! After a drink back in the tourist- part (Khao San road) we went to bed, ready for our last day in Bangkok..

At our last day we had to buy some things for me since I still hadn’t received my luggage. So we went to the MBK, a cheaper mall, also in the western part. After that we saw the Lumpini park, which is pretty nice, it’s just so weird to have a park in the middle of all the dirt of Bangkok.. Then back to the hotel, where we received our visas for Laos and our train tickets, and then.. to the train!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb