WE ARE HERE!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Holla!! Its Lauren here - I will probably be doing most of the blog writing with Hannah's input (basically whatever witty remarks she pipes up when I'm typing). Here's a lovely little run down of our first day and night in Bangkok (or FNOB as some witty creatures I know named theirs). Also as a note we can't upload photos from the iPad on to here so will add them later on - something i figured out after I wrote this so if it refers to looking at a picture I promise they are coming haha!)




Well we arrived in Bangkok safe and sound after an 11 hour delay in Abu Dhabi (cheeky little hotel day though - thanks Eithad!). We stepped off the plane to the most intense heat - I know People said it was hot but jeez Louise! After a 30/4O min train ride (which cost less than a £1!!!) from the airport to Phaya Thai we got off & met a lovely Thai lady who told is were to get the bus. So off we went to the bus stop minding our own business when some overly friend Thai guy spent the next 30 minutes trying to convince us to get on a tut tut and telling us how much he loved Manchester United (you would've loved him Gilbert 😉). In order to lose our new friend we decided to test out our bartering skills and hopped in a taxi!




So we arrived at our lovely hostel at around 10:30am and dumped our bags , met 2 random Brazilians & decided to become a four and explore the temples 😊.




First stop was Grand Palace! We endured a life risking walk there (just kidding but let's just say pedestrians do not have right of way here). It was beautiful & the temples are like nothing we would ever see in the UK (the photos don't do it justice). You have to cover up all of your legs & shoulders so the heat was intensified (Our Brazilian pals found our inability to handle the heat very entertaining). Hannah wore a vest top so rented a very fetching shirt which you can admire in the 1 and only photo of us 2 together.




Next stop was Wat Pho to see the reclining Buddha! It was amazing - it's one of the largest and oldest temples in Bangkok. The Buddha statue is lying on its side and represents Buddhas last days. It measures about 150 feet in length so basically it's MASSIVE! Haha




After 4 hours exploring we hopped in a taxi which cost us 20 Baht each (that's like 40p) and went for a little dander down Khao San Road. It is like nothing either of us have ever experienced. It is so buzzing with people, stalls, tut tuts and mopeds everywhere.




We went and checked in to our Hostel and passed out for a 2 hour nap (it's a touch life this travelling malarkey). Here's the bit for the parents - it's lovely and clean 😊 big shout out to Jen for her recommendation to stay here 😊




After we arose we stumbled out into the street and found ourselves an interesting little restaurant to have some food. Here we met some lovely girls who happened to be staying at our hostel. After a quick shower and turn around we headed out for the evening and ended up in a bar with a lady who believed she was Beyoncé! It was great craic. A few Chang beers later the next thing we knew it was 3:30am! And so two very jet lagged and tired rascals retreated home to our comfy bed and I (Lauren ) covered my self head to toe in repellant and a mosquito net! Anyone who knows how bad my bites go will appreciate my efforts (shame I hadn't done it earlier though - 3 bites later haha)!







Tonight we are off to sky bar (A highly recommended skyscraper bar) then hopefully a ladyboy show!




Tomorrow we are heading to the zoo (better be good Matt! :P) then it's an evening bus to Koh Tao to start a 4 day diving course! Will keep you updated!!




Love and Kisses




Hannah and Lauren






Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb