Day 12: Bangkok part 2‏


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 21st 2012
Published: December 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Another day another train journey completed! The train was a different layout to our last one and we made sure to book two bottom bunks. As a result we both slept much better. Upon arrival in Bangkok we stored two of our bags and headed to the golden mount (something we missed first time around due to our TukTuk scam) and then a quick visit to Koh San road. This is the road all the Brits know so well, our impressions weren't too great - a mixture of fast food outlets, Irish pubs and tailors that were not overly appealing at 10am so we quickly skipped through it before having brunch at a quaint cafe on a side street. James wanted to see if he could use the athletic track so we walked (miles!!!) across town to the national stadium and after found out we could come back after 4. This left us just enough time to slot in one more sight - Jim Thompson's house, an American entrepreneur who revived the Thai silk industry in the 1950's. His house was a mixture of traditional Thai houses he had moved to Bangkok, redesigned into a Western style home.They also contained a variety of art work and sculptures. We then walked back to the station where I went for a shower (bugs and all!) while James ran to the track. We then wandered to China town to enjoy the sights, smells and dinner. Upon returning to the station whilst waiting for our train we saw out first live rats! They were pretty big but luckily there were more Interested in the rubbish bags than my toes! Our train was late (the norm now) but we finally stepped aboard our 8 hour sitting train to Chumphon.

Baileys bit:

Bangkok is definitely a one or two day city, while we were walking around the Tuk Tuk drivers always repeated the same points 'Grand Palace', 'Koh San' and 'Suit shop'. We didn't get to see the floating markets it seemed they were either a little out of town or only on the weekends (when we weren't there) hopefully we will get to see one at another time!

Daily Mileage: 5. I can say I ran at the Thailand national stadium albeit the warm up track! Did a mile warm up and the 3*1k, times were a little down but after being on my feet all day and fairly dehydrated ran back to the station for a nice cold shower!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb