Farewell Thailand!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 30th 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The View By DayThe View By DayThe View By Day

Looking out the window of our room on the 22nd floor. Pretty nice.
Days 12-14

...in which we left Phuket, pretended we were rich in Bangkok, wandered Chatuchak, and then said farewell to Thailand...



After saying our fond farewells to our resort, we taxi'd back to Phuket, and then flew to Bangkok. We had splurged a bit on these last few nights - staying at the Sheraton Royal Orchid. It was pretty stunning and we felt underdressed just being in the foyer. Heading back out again the guide book led us to a very small little Indian Vego restaurant which made some delicious and spicy food.

The next day we spent all day wandering around Chatuchak markets. They are large, bordering on ridiculous! Some cheapo copy cat stuff, but mainly a LOT of crafts, locally made gear and jewellery. The number of people was amazing - a huge area completely jam packed. After the market, we accidentally got on the wrong boat and had a short accidental tour in the wrong direction. 😊 Not a problem, the Sheraton shuttle boat came along soon (complete with red leather and mahogany seating, and a guy handing out hot cloths to wipe our faces, and cold water). Luxury.

We continued the
Breakfast!Breakfast!Breakfast!

The breakfast buffet was massive. This is a small section with a variety of dressings to put on your salads. There was even a pancake machine.
luxury by meeting up with two friends of Nena (Nan and Beau) and heading up to the highest building in Thailand (The Baiyoke Tower II) for dinner. The food was superb (best sushi since Japan), the view from the outdoor lookout amazing (a rotating ledge!), and the company was excellent (thanks Beau and Nan!). A really great night!

The next day we had a very late flight. We were a bit slow to get going, and caught the boat up towards Khao San Rd for one last massage (and Nena got a manicure), then came back, checked out, ate some tasty Japanese for dinner and headed to the airport.



Farewell Thailand!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Transport BoatsTransport Boats
Transport Boats

Boats head up the river fully laden, and cruise back down empty. The full ones are really heavy and sit low in the water.
Colourful TaxisColourful Taxis
Colourful Taxis

Just outside Chatuchak market.
Chatuchak FoodChatuchak Food
Chatuchak Food

One of the food sections at the market.
Mangosteen smoothieMangosteen smoothie
Mangosteen smoothie

Yep - really. Yummy too.
Leaving chatuchakLeaving chatuchak
Leaving chatuchak

Crowds pouring out of the markets.
These guys are on coke!These guys are on coke!
These guys are on coke!

Well - a building covered in a huge coke add.
SmoothiesSmoothies
Smoothies

Dragonfruit on the left and coconut/pineapple on the right. The dinner was a big buffet, but a lot of it prepared on request and really fresh. The sashimi was melt in the mouth fresh.
ViewView
View

Looking down from the viewing platform.
Baiyoke TowerBaiyoke Tower
Baiyoke Tower

Nan, Nena and Beau on the rotating viewing platform.
Car bitsCar bits
Car bits

Wandering around the back streets near the hotel - found a lot of mechanical repair shops. Store spare bits on the street!
Last supperLast supper
Last supper

Some pretty tasty Japanese from a food court.


3rd June 2012

London
Well I see that the Brits put on a bit of a boat show for your arrival in London :)
4th June 2012

Queenie
Yep. Was a nice idea - shame about the weather. We pretty well spent the whole day in museums avoiding the drizzle and the crowds.

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb