Touch down, Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 22nd 2012
Published: March 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After 22 hours of travel, 3 in flight meals, 4 half bottles of wine, 3 movies and 2 hours of sleep, we arrived in bangkok.Bangkok airport is quite nice and unlike most other airports we were through immigration and baggage check and out front hailing a cab in around half an hour (after grabbing a beer for around $1.25). A swift cab ride later and we were on khao san road. If you've seen the movie the Beach, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect. If you havent then imagine a hopping downtown asian party street; neon signs reaching up 4 stories or more, food carts every 5 feet and shops crowding every space possilbe. Incredibly cheap beer, cheaper thai wisky (served in a beach bucket) and hundreds of partiers surrround you, all to the tune of pop hits from the top 40 list about 5 years ago.
We hit up a guest house called the D&D inn (nerd friends rejoice) and checked in to a pretty sweet room for 980 baht (30b to the dollar). We dropped our bags, got changed and decided to hit the road for a quick beer. Which instead turned into a quick beer tower. Whats a beer tower you say? Imagine a 2 foot plexiglass tube with an ice core and a tap in the bottom, filled to the top with the frosty delicious beer of your choice. They hold about 2.5 litres of beer. No sooner had we poured our first beer than our table neighbor, a young over tanned ausy with messy unkempt hair and a decidely drunken look in his eye, declared we'd never be able to finish our tower. Now I'm not sure who who he thought he was dealing with but in about 30 mins our tower was empty, we were fairly drunk and I was standing at a street cart eating some tasty spring roles ($1.10) and trying to determine just how many lady boys were mixed in with the ladies (a lot, as it turns out).
We made a drunken decision to call it a night at about 3:00am as we'd both been awake for about 30 hours.
Next up, we do a little shopping, track down our friends and find some tasty breakfast... and quite possibly more frosty cheap beer to hold off the 30 degree heat!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb