Half way there...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 21st 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Catching a Cab to BangkokCatching a Cab to BangkokCatching a Cab to Bangkok

You'd be surprised how many cabs turned us down, but this one seemed to like us. Notice the I love Farang sticker (which basically means "white foreigner").
Sorry about not making a posting reciently but since most of the last few days have been spent in class or studying (yes, despite what most of you think that is actually why I'm here), I didn't figure you needed exciting updates like "we found the library today". The long and the short of it though is that we sepent all day Tuesday in class and then that evening and most of the next day studing for our Wednesday afternoon mid term. We got the tests back already and I got one of only 3 A's so I guess the hard work paid off.

Of course what does one do after a test in Thailand? Go into Bangkok to celebrate of course! After a quick round of pre-game Singha's outside our dorm (quite the flashback to undergrad), we all hailed cabs and drove to the city. Fortunately for us all the traffic was going the other way and we made it downtown in about an hour (for a mere $7.50). Our original plan was to grab dinner on top of the State Tower on Silom road (think the Thai version of the 95th floor of the Handcock), but the group
Group photo on Pub CrawlGroup photo on Pub CrawlGroup photo on Pub Crawl

Here's the group at one of the earlier stops of the night. (From left to right: Emily, Bill, Dave, Marcy, Brian, Ben and Chandra)
from the first cab that got there was quickly turned away because we didn't quite meet the dresscode. Fortunately there was a nice little restaurant on the first floor that had menus in english, so we decided to go there. The food was quite good although we think the place catered to the tourist croud as it was the first time we found Pad Thai on a menu. Of course about half of us ordered it for a little "taste from home", and enjoyed the interesting spin of the Pad Thai comming inside an omlet (sounds a little weird but was quite good). It was also at dinner that someone got the bright idea for us to spend the rest of the evening on a "Pub Crawl" down Silom road. I won't describe the evenings antics in detail here, but considering some of the group (myself NOT included) didn't make it home until about 6:30 this morning, fun was certinally had by all.

Tonight is still a little up in the air as several in the group are still "recovering" from last nights adventures, but since we leave for the airport at 6am tomorrow I'm thinking it will be somewhat of a tame evening. Tomorrow of course we leave for our weekend excursion to Cheng Rai and Chang Mai in northern Thailand. I highly doubt I'll have easy internet access up there, but with an itinerary that includes things like visits to hill tribes and elephant rides, I'm sure I'll have lots of stories and pictures to share when I get back.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 57; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb