Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 7th 2011
Published: December 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we traveled by tour bus to the Damnoen Saduak Floating Village & Market.This large and popular floating market is about 100 km southwest of Bangkok in Ratchaburi province. Photos of this vibrant market featuring many small boats laden with colourful fruits and vegetables and paddled by Thai women wearing bamboo hats, are often seen in travel magazines. It was fascinating to see this old style & traditional way of selling & buying goods.

We also stopped at an elephant reserve where Lori was thrilled to be able to purchase bananas & feed them to these gentle giants.

We were able to witness the residual water from the floods on our bus ride. Our tour guide informed us that some areas had been under 12 feet of water.

It is the King of Thailand's (Bhumibol Adulyadej) 84th birthday today & their are celebrations throughout the city. He has reigned since June 1946 making him the world's longest current monarch.

Tonight we took a taxi to Patpong Night Market a very busy & chaotic place where you can buy almost anything. This market is in Bangkok's notorious nightlife district & the 'go-go' bars are plenty. Lori had to relieve herself & we were directed up a flight of stairs where we ended up in a strip club that was as seedy as they come. The girls on stage were waving & quite happy to see us until they realized we weren't there to be entertained. A fat & intimidating woman approached us us we tried to leave & demanded payment which we promptly submitted and got out! As we exited, we noted the name of the club being "Super Pussy"! It was comforting returning to our hotel which seemed like it was in a totally different world.

Tomorrow we head to the island of Koh Samui.

Advertisement



8th December 2011

RE: Potpong Market
Jill, Did you think of me at Patpong market? Now you know why I was freaking out every time I had to use the toilet!! You will love Koh Samui. Can't wait to hear the rest of Jill's Jouneys. Make sure you add some pics.
9th December 2011

Hi Jeana
Yes Jeana.....I did think of you.....you were so young....Mom would have worried sick if she knew! Loving Thailand!
9th December 2011

Hi Jeana
Yes Jeana.....I did think of you.....you were so young....Mom would have worried sick if she knew! Loving Thailand!
8th December 2011

hahahaha!
I can just picture you two laughing your guts out over "super pussy" Seriously, it sounds like you're having a great start to your trip, with a variety of adventures already!! I look forward to your next 'blog' Janice xoxo
9th December 2011

to funny
Like Janice I can just picture you both being stuck in a strip club named "Super Pussy" and having to pay money to exit hahaha. I would have paid as well :) sounds like you two are having a great time so far. Cindy

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb