Bangkok flood waters rising further


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 27th 2011
Published: October 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

When we left the condo at 2pm, the road was dry. 4 hours later it was covered in water. Naitt and I went to her condo to pick up a jacket she'll need for a trip to Korea next week, and then headed to Siriraj Hospital where she works. Wading to hospital It's normally a 20 minute walk to the hospital, but it takes a heck of a lot longer to wade. 200m from her condo it started getting ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




26th October 2011

Thanks for your blogs, Pete!
What a calamity! There's little one can say of course ... your final comment about the drinking water shortage highlights the challenge. Is the Army bringing supplies of that into distribution points? My thoughts are very much with you - just as they were on September 18 when I didn't get around to sending a birthday wish for you!! Love, Marg
27th October 2011

Thanks for this blog
Hi Peter, around Ekamai everything still seems to be completely dry. What I still find bizarre is that no foreign government have made evacuation warnings. No embassies have evacuated their staffs...weird...
27th October 2011

Still no sign of water or political leadership
Hi Pierre. Yup, upper Sukhumvit is still dry. At soi 12 here. The odd numbers will probably flood first. I think the embassies have left evacuation orders until the last minute because they believed the politicians. King Solomon would have been a useful bloke to have around at this time. Also, no sign of panic here, so I guess the embassies didn't feel the need to panic either. The Thais were smiling yesterday during the flood, and I'm sure they'll be smiling next week as well.
27th October 2011

Great blog and pics
Fantastic blog, just discovered it. And a really good look at the floods. Thais are so resilient and I love the pic of the girls enjoying a meal amongst the water. Never let a flood get in way of food!! Do hope that you will all be OK. Our guys at our office in Sukhumvit moved upcountry yesterday. Thoughts are with you all.
28th October 2011

Another engrossing read
Peter, I really appreciate your effort to photograph and write this blog considering what is going on around you. The pictures of Thais trying to carry life on as normal is a real testament to their tenacity and spirit. My thoughts are with everyone in the flooded areas this weekend when the waters are expected to reach their peak.
1st November 2011

Peak?
Thanks Shane. Yes, Thais really are tenacious and manage to maintain their spirits despite the ineptitude of those in charge. The servicemen and police helping out with transport in particular are making a huge contribution to maintaining morale and ensuring the people and the country survive. These guys are working 12-18 hours a day and are amazingly cheerful about it. The smiles in the photos were there before I pointed the camera at them. As for the "peak" that we've been told is coming, that's merely a tidal movement that affects only the Chao Phraya River. Other areas are likely to see floodwaters continue to rise because, having stopped them at the outskirts of Bangkok, the water continues to flow in from surrounding provinces and build up. My refugees living here, who were originally reluctant to come because their house was dry, told me today that the water is 2 feet deep inside their house and still rising. I'd say the worst (in Bangkok) is still a week or two away.

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb