Melting Wax


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 30th 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

First Day of Relaxation



We awoke at 8:30am to our first day in Bangkok still pretty tired from our late arrival in the early hours of the morning due to our very late check departure from Melbourne yesterday, We finally got our boarding call at 5:30 and took off at 6:06pm and arrived in Bangkok at 12midnight Bangkok time which was 3:00 am back in Oz.

We met the boys down stairs for breakfast as they were up and ready to go before us, running on adrenaline as I am sure Tim had no sleep on board the plane and Mat got a couple of hours only.

We had a lovely relaxed breakfast........ great spread as usual and then wandered up to the Executive floor to have a decent cup of coffee and hot chocolate and get onto the web to see what movies were playing at one of our favorite movie theaters and plan the rest of the day ahead. We all agreed that an easy day would be the way to go as we were all still feeling pretty tired from our long trip over, Tim and Mat were pretty impressed with the whole Business class extras at the hotel and were soaking it up and making the most of it with big grins on their faces. A quick check revealed the movie started at 12:30 so off we went to Paragon Mall via the Sky Train to watch our movie and indulge in our wonderful surroundings and eat and drink as much as we could fit in.

After the movie we decided to take the walk over to Siam Discovery to Madam Tussauds wax Museum that had not long opened here in Bangkok.

Great place.......they are so real looking you even get the feeling that they are looking straight at you and their eyes follow you around the room, took some great photos and had a laugh and moved on to find our way back to the hotel to get ready for Happy hour at the Exec Lounge and have a few drinks and something light to eat before making our way to Tesco ( just up the road about 200 meters) for some Thai Noodle soup and Pad Thai for the small price of 90 Baht ( $3 Aussie dollars). Belly's full and both of the boys looking for more alcohol they wandered down to the 711 and we went up to catch up with some old friends at the hotel Judy and Bert the nightly entertainment on the Lobby floor.

After listening to the very talented duo we decided to go and have a foot massage before going to bed. We got back to the room and i fell onto the bed and was snoring before Paul could even get changed and pull the computer out to upload all the photo's from our day out.

Off to Market



Up at sparrows for our second day we woke the boy's and headed down for breakfast just after 7 am with the aim of going to the famed Chatuchak weekend markets for a spot of shopping. After breakfast we made our way to the station hopped the sky train and after changing lines at Siam station boarded the train to Mo Chit which is within easy walking distance of the market.

As we neared the station you can see the market from the train which gives you an appreciation for just how massive this place really is. We have read all the reviews and been told by countless other travelers about this place but never realised the true enormity of it, for those of you familiar with Park Lea markets and Paddy's markets in Sydney they don't even come close in comparison.

After walking to the market we made a bee line for the area which had the clothes and various craft items grateful that we had arrived early as within 5 minutes of walking down the first row it was noticeably hotter with no air con and no natural air flow in the cramped spaces it would only get hotter as time went by and more people began to turn up and the sun began to warm up the tin roofs of the aircraft hanger styled buildings.

We spent some time checking out various stalls and after purchasing a few things we decided to call it quits and head to the air conditioned comfort of MBK for some further retail therapy and an ice cold mango frappe at Starbucks. We managed to tick a few more purchases off the list before heading for lunch and then after unsuccessfully searching for a few other items we decided we had all had enough shopping and headed back to the hotel for some rest before cocktails and canapes in the lounge followed by dinner on the roof.

Well that's it for now, it's going to be an even earlier start tomorrow with our tour to Erawan waterfall and the Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi kicking off at around 645 am.




Additional photos below
Photos: 98, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb