First night in a strange city


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 15th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday 14th Feb

I think the combination of nerves, excitement and malaria tablets were the cause of the comedic start to our trip. About 10 minutes into the journey to the airport me and Dan began to feel sick. We both ended up taking it turns being sick into a bag while my mum tried with great difficulty to drive us to the airport without being sick herself. Great start!

Before we left, we were joking how funny it would be if we ran into someone we knew from home on the other side of the world. However we didn't actually think it would happen! So Daniel was certainly surprised when we reached Doha and the owner of the local chippy came to say hello!




Tuesday 15th Feb

Our arrival at Bangkok went smoothly, my bag came off really quickly but we were a bit worried when Daniel's didn't. We waited...and waited...and waited but nothing! We were just about to go to baggage claim when we realised one bag that was going round and round was actually ours...duh!

We caught the bus outside the airport to our hotel which took about an hour. After 20 hours travelling we couldn't wait to shower and sleep. After an hours nap we went for tea, we played it safe with noodles and duck with coke which cost just 50 baht (1.50 GBP). We had a couple of beers to help us sleep and then settled in for an early night.




Wednesday 16th Feb

Our first day going it alone in Bangkok! I think we were both still on UK time because we woke up at 5am and went for breakfast. On offer was porridge with minced pork!! Luckily they had more normal options of toast, pancakes and fruit.

We got a tuk tuk for the day which cost 40 baht (1GBP) which took us to various sites including 'wat intharawihan'and 'wat benchamabopot' which were both temples. However we realised we may have set ourselves up for a scam as in between sites we were dropped off at a jewellery factory and a tailors. But we received free drinks without purchasing anything so we weren't quite sure who was scamming who?

We met our group at 6pm. Our guide, Dara, is Cambodian so we'd be in good hands for the first leg of the journey! We went for tea, where we found out that 'medium' hot in Thailand is the equivalent to very hot in the UK!

The next day was a 7am start to travel to Siem Reap in Cambodia.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb