Bangkok: Round 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 28th 2006
Published: March 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I love it! The heat, the sun, the people, the food....oh the food! It has been great being back in Banggers, i love this city!

We got here on Saturday the 25th. Our plane was a bit late so we really only had the evening to grab some food and hit the hay. Brookes and I have both been excited to return to Thailand for the food, it is so cheap and so delicious. For our first meal we went to our favourite little stretch of road near our hostel that is lined with food carts and plastic tables and chairs. We got some spring rolls and Brookes got Pad Thai, and I opten for some seriously spicey Green Curry. We both gor fruit shakes and hat made a great meal. Food is one of the main highlights here.

Sunday was market day. We hit up the weekend market known as Chatuchak market. A sprawling maze of food stalls, pet stores, clothing, jewelry, and anything else immaginable. It really is a wonder just walking through the place but of course we could not resist the uncontrollable urge to buy something...it's so cheap, the stuff is so nice...we left with our hands full. We were midly conforted that not one person we saw managed to leave with empty hands, but I scolded myself because this meant a heavier pack. At night we headed to the night market a Lumpini park for some good eats and more shopping...arg! We hopped ont he subway and then the sky train to come back to our hostel where we met up witha friend Kara who is working here teaching. Wewent to her apartment nearby for a good girls night of watching movies. So good to have that comfort of home once and a while.

Monday was take it easy day...wait, everyday here has been like that. We ventured over to Khoa San Road, widely knows as the backpackers mecca. It is a tacky, bright road closed off the cars at night and packed with performers, food stalls, book and clothing stores, and restaurants. Floresent signs dominate the skyscape and music blares from random stores. All that is touristy and tacky comes together to meet the needs of foreigners without ever having to believe you are in asia. Or strangely, that this could only ever happen in asia.

Today we deprt on the night bus (groan) and then a boat to get to the island of Kho Tao. Supposedly a great dice site and the home of beautiful beaches and soft white sand. We will spend the next couple weeks island hopping, it should be a great time! More adventures to come!




Advertisement



4th April 2006

jealous!
Hey Becky, I finally finished catching up on all your entries. It sounds like an amazing time! Now I can't stop thinking about where I want to go next...I'm torn between Thailand and Vietnam, but leaning towards Thailand. A serious question: if you have to ride buses or trucks for hours and hours, what do you do when you have to go to the washroom? I cry at that thought.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb