Pistols at the ready...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 14th 2010
Published: April 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Said goodbye to the German girls. We were glad that we met them and will hopefully see them again back in the UK when they visit in August.
Booked ourselves onto a tour to the nearby waterfalls as Dan felt that his leg was up to it and figured he was on anitbiotics anyway...

On the tuk tuk ride up there we were shown what Pii Mai (Laos New Year) was going to be like. If you are in a tuk tuk you are fair game basically for getting wet. We were very unprepared and had no water to throw back. The kids on the outskirts of Luang Prabang and neighbouring villages loved it!

After a scary 45minute journey (lots of bends and bumps) we arrived at the falls. They were very beautiful so I decided that it would be cool to walk up the trail and look at them from the top and then cool down at the end. An American we passed on the way up said that it was worth the climb and there were pools up there to swim in. This was probably not the best decsion to make as by the time we reached the top, Dan hated me for making him walk with his poorly leg all the way to the top for pretty much no reason. We could see people in what looked to be a very nice pool but nobody we were with could figure out how to get there. We made our way down and finally went in the pools a the bottom (as Dan suggested from the start). The water was absolutely freezing so very refreshing but couldn't stay in for too long. It was really beautiful and very deep in places. I just hope that the waterproof camera we bought works.

We then had a brilliant time with this Laos family sitting nearby. They kept offering us more and more beer as they were out celebrating Pii Mai. The "mum" of the group was hilarious (and a little tipsy) and after dancing with her for a bit and being force fed more booze it was time to go. Lots of fun and just showed again how lovely the Laos people are.

On the tuk tuk ride back, the Germans on our tour had decided to make sure we were armed with our own water. It was good fun and we got soaked again in the process. Chilled out in the evening and visited to night market again. We are not really buying any souvenirs as we can't really afford them and we have no way to bring them home but we decided to buy one of the pictures we both loved as it fits perfectly in my documents folder and was really cheap.

Next morning we got up mega early to leave for our flight back to Thailand. We were so pleased we didn't have to spend another second in our unventilated, sweaty hell hole, bug filled, unfinished accomodation - but we were sad to leave Laos.

We arrived at the "international airport" for the first flight of the day. It was the funniest little airport I have ever been to. We checked in no problems (which was a relief) and went to eat breakfast in the only cafe there. We had two "mini pizzas" which were actually more like a sweet french pastry with "stuff" on top.... lovely. I was much less nervous about flying as dan was there but the tiny propeller plane was worrying me. It was all good though as take off was very smooth. We even got another meal included so wish we hadn't bothered with our previous culinary "treat". I would very much recommend Laos Airlines if you are in that part of the world... they don't publish their safety record but they do a nice ham sandwich!

Back in Bangkok and got our new 30 day visas no probs. Got the coach back to Khao San Road and checked into our nice hotel. We (moslty Dan) splashed out a bit (20 pounds a night) so we could have air con, a TV and roof top swimming pool. We had a little swim and then joined the insanity of the Thai New Year celebration on Khoa San Road after getting soaked on the way to the chemist. It is insane here and there is no escape from the water (or the chalk). Had loads of fun, bought some water pistols and sat somewhere giving away free ice cold water gun refills. I can't believe this goes on for a week! It didn't really stop in the evening either.

Next morning we went to the lovely Bangkok Mission Hospital to have Dans stitches "removed". Unfortunatly they had sort of exploded in the night and the doctor managed to take one look explain they hadn't given Dan strong enough antibiotics and despite my best efforts at being a nurse, it was infected. The stitches came out just by the doctor looking at them but he gave us more/better cleaning stuff and more antibiotics so unfortunately Dan is not really on the mend yet. Fingers crossed he will be OK soon though as no swimming and no alcohol is a bit rubbish when we are just about the head to the south island beaches!

Had another fun afternoon joining in the Thai celebrations. Got really soaked again (of course) and covered in chalk lots. We also witnessed a very funny argument. A bloke (stood near us water pistolling) had been spraying everyone in the street with water from a hose. He was in his 60's and was having a whale of a time (little bit tipsy we think) and was soaking everyone and wishing them happy new year. He had been there a good few hours when, who we think was his wife, stormed out and went nuts at him for using so much water (or something like that in Thai). She then realised he had broken the tap at the end and so they couldn't turn off the water. She hit him with the end of hose (big metal bit at the end) and continued going mad at him. Its a good job he had been drinking I think as he seemed fairly unfazed by it all. It was one of those moments that you felt you should leave but it was just too good and you had to watch! Thai's are very tolerate happy people so to seem this lady so mad was a rare event! Very very funny!

It was a bit more crazy than the day before so as we were leaving the next day we had to go back in our hotel to make sure everything was dry for the next day. It continued all evening so we couldn't even get to a restaurant so ended up having cheese and hot dog toasties from the seven eleven shop next door to our hotel (best location EVER!) and ate them in our room whilst watching BBC World News and a ridiculous Australian TV channel. Quite depressing but fairly funny as well.

We are now hiding out in an internet cafe since we checked out to avoid getting soaked before our long journey. We are going to a little cafe again for dinner and just hope we don't get a bucket thrown over our head in the short walk in between here and there. If you say no to the Thai's before they spray you they will respect that and don't do it but it is difficult to avoid the people driving around in pick up trucks soaking anyone they find! At least the red shirt protest has calmed down now.... it's difficult to be serious when you are that covered in chalk paste and water!

Off to Koh Tao tomorrow - very exciting - will keep you updated when I can!

x x x

Dans thought for the day!
I forgotten how much fun a water fight can be. Especially since it's been about 10 years since I had a proper one. Hose pipe bans and all that!!! I think, I might bring the tradition back to the UK. Just imagine the fun, of walking through the streets of Croydon, December 31st wetting passers by.... you'd probably get stabbed, but for the craic it'd be amazing!!!!

Advertisement



14th April 2010

The importance of a good ham sandwich!
This trip is really having its effect on you - now safety records pale into insignificance next to the importance of a good ham sandwich! Be good, kids. Moot Moot! xxx

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb