bangkoking it up


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 27th 2010
Published: March 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got back in the evening and checked straight into out big budget backpacker joint on the khao san road, the pumping music, ladies selling frogs, cloths shopping heaven, fake dreadlock stores, tatoo shops, drunk drunk drunk westeners with or without many a thai prostitute, ahhh it's good to be back! The khao san doesn't seem quite so garish as when we first got here, maybe because we've been exposed to travellers a bit more and the touristy stuff, where as coming from India it was like being slapped with everything that's wrong about tourism. We decided to join in for one night and we got duuurunk!
They sell buckets of drink here with two little straws stuck out and my oh my are they strong, we also managed to find many a 2-4-1 deal on massive blue cocktails. So we traweled around from bar to bar signing our names up for pool competitions. The rules were winner stays on so we always signed up next to each other hoping to play each other. I kicked some A***! I managed to beat a few guys in a row and they looked really gutted to be beaten by a girl in a floaty dress and this carried on most of the night in each bar we went to, until the cocktails eventually caught up with me and we called it a night at about 4am. The only 2 bad things about the night was suddenly seeing the sex workers in all their true colours, with guys twice their age drunk as farts, usually fat and sweaty with the girls sitting on their laps being all giggely and sexy when you know they are probably just about our age if not mostly younger, it's really sad, the other bad thing was it cost us double our budget for the day, opps!
We magically managed to not have hangovers the next day and spent the day wondering around by the river and eating lots of nice thai food again, finding veggie stuff in cambodia was pretty hard so I'm so glad to be back in thailand, I can eat lots again, yay!
We went to the New Zealand embassy in outer bangkok and it was a pretty fun adventure to get there. We had to get a ferry taxi down the massive river of bangkok. The ferrys are local and leave one comes pass every 5 minutes or so. They don't hang around either and you pretty much need to run and jump to get on, Bangkok looks beautiful from the water too, best wya to get around.
We then got two sky trains, like londons tube system but on legs above the streets. That part of bangkok is so big and manages to be beautiful and ugly at the same time. Big parks and massive sky scrappers run along side each other and the roads are packed with cars, buses, bikes and taxis. Big shopping malls with big lights and fountains, beggars on the corners, street food stalls next to a macdonalds with ronald maccy D with his hands together ( like you would when praying or saying sawadeka ) instead of waving!
My lovely daddy gave me a little bit of money as a present, so I have been able to have a tiny bit of retail therapy whilst in bangkok, dress's for 2 quid, yes please (thank you dad!) It also meant my back is seriously over flowing, same with Russ's and they really do weigh alot more than they look like they would, so now we have 4 days until Jakki and Tony get here ( Russ's mum and ger husband) so it's pretty much going to be four days of trying to get our new zealand wokring visa ( we need to get health checks and al that rubbish!) sending postcards, letters, packages, phoning home, emails, blogs, mending and cleaning our grubby smelly clothing and most importantly finding somewhere nice for Jakki and Tony to stay when they get here! Can't wait to see you both by the way, it's going to be great, we promise! love to everyone xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb