Around the World in 86 Days Part 3


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 20th 2010
Published: March 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The topic of conversation around the ship before our arrival in Bangkok, Thailand was how the “Million Man March” would affect our visit. Now that we’ve returned we can say that with the exception of seeing several truckloads of red shirted men flying flags it appeared to be a peaceful demonstration against the government. Thanks to Richard Rowe for the photo of the Red Shirts!
Regent had an overnight visit planned in Bangkok at the first class Shangri-La Hotel right on the Chao Praya River. On our way we toured historic Ayutthaya, a World Heritage site where we visited the Summer Palace by golf cart, we saw multiple temples and a Buddha overgrown with tree roots and we took a long tailed boat ride along the river seeing how the Thai people live. But the highlight of the day was a memorable elephant ride. Chuck was happy that there was a platform to board the elephant and that we didn’t have to straddle the elephant but instead sat on a cushioned flat seat for two. After the ride we had our picture taken with another friendly elephant that actually hugged me with its trunk and then kissed me. It was an amazing feeling!
After arrival at the Shangri-La Hotel we enjoyed an authentic and spicy Thai dinner at their riverfront restaurant and were entertained by elaborately costumed dancers. After dinner we were excited to see the fireworks extravaganza for the World Cruisers. The next morning we toured Jim Thompson’s old style Thai house and wondered what happened to this American silk industry mogul when he mysteriously disappeared in Malaysia in 1967. While we were there, we watched Buddhist monks during a prayer ceremony and were able to photograph them later as they were eating their mid day meal.
On our journey back to the ship we all agreed we’d had a wonderful time which was made even more special when we saw all the Regent staff waiting for us with cold towels, champagne, a band playing and a human sign that read “Welcome Back”. And yes we were glad to be home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



30th March 2010

This is a wonderful accounting of the Bangkok visit. You caught the essence of your experiences and the photos were great. Watch out for those kissing elephants Linda. Chuck may get jealous.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb