Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 20th 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally in Thailand. Our last country. I don't consider it much a tourist destination anymore as the family roots dig deep in Siam and I've spent enough hot summers in Bangkok and various off-radar towns in middle country to feel a little underwhelmed whenever I come back. But all those times, I had been escorted around safe in the custody of relatives. Though I've been to places like Chiang Mai, Ayutthaya, Samui- I couldn't tell you where they were on a map. I think the only way you can get a feel for a place is to work at it yourself- get lost on a back street, stumble while ordering at a restaurant, argue over prices in the street bazaars. So now coming here as independents it's kinda exciting again.

Our first week we stayed around Silom- home to one of Bangkok's seediest red-light districts (yes there's more than one), Patpong. Everywhere you walk you'll be invited to watch a Ping Pong show (they don't play the traditional Forrest Gump way) and everywhere you look you'll see a 60 yr old white guy with a belly that puts him at around 15 mos pregnant, with a Thai girl at his side petite enough to fit into the folds of fat on the back of his neck. It's an appalling sight but this unabashed hedonism creates an unmatched air of electricity. We stayed just off of Silom in a decent hotel. As long as you don't think about what the rooms have been used for (use one of those UV lights over the bed and I'd think you'd see the devil himself dancing in the sheets) you'll be alright.

We only stayed a few days before heading up north to see my Dad-- a little town called Tapanh Hin. It seems that if a town is not listed in Lonely Planet it's likely there won't be many tourist-friendly services available- nightlife, sanitary eating establishments, air conditioning. We only lasted 3 days before heading back to the capital. So now back in Bangkok, decided to take a trip to the Backpacker Capital of SE Asia, Khao San Road. I'd never been here before as like I said, I'd always been shuttled around by family who would never think to step foot in this hippy enclave. On one 300m stretch of road there over 20 guesthouses, 30 bars, 20 pad thai vendors and three 7-11's. The only good thing about it is you can get a place to stay for $3 a night. And being as how the money has finally run out on this trip, looks like I'm going to have to take to wearing fishermans pants and bead necklaces for awhile.

Advertisement



23rd March 2006

Saucy Jack
I was actually getting concerned and was going to write an email, but i realized I didn't care... j/k So are you going to be staying with papa in nowheresville for a month like you planned? -Jamey
24th March 2006

You're alive!
Glad to hear you are alive and well :)
25th March 2006

Amazing Trip
Just wanted to say that although it may feel like work for you, it's a joy for all of us to read about your fantastic adventures. Thanks for the great stories! So this Thailand Ping Pong thing ... looked it up on the internet. Not what I first thought. Impressive though - I didn't think anatomy worked like that...

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb