Day Twelve - Bangkok to Surat Thani


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 1st 2010
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bangkok to Phuket



Day Twelve - We’ve had our oyster, bring me a beach



We woke late and were unrushed today. We had a few hours to kill before we caught our train south to the islands so we again took a river taxi after a breakfast at Ricky’s. This time we took it longer down the river so we could take a small walk around the large hotel and shopping area.

Everything was closed up though and we didn’t have an appetite for the hotel malls so we just looped back round to the river and headed back to Pra Athit. We are truly done with cities for now and need a break.

We headed to Khao San so the laydees could see what they missed. Not much but it has cleaned up a lot. We took a late lunch/early dinner in a Thai place near our Mansion before getting our bags and taking a taxi to Hua Lamphong.

Hua Lamphong was one large terminal and we camped in the middle with a few other travellers until our train was called. In the midst of this, we had to wake Shannon as the National Anthem was played. It was bizarre as the whole station jumped to its feet for the duration before tumbling back down.

As we passed through to the platforms, the air was thick with diesel fumes and it was a relief to find our car and jump aboard. We stowed our luggage and ‘Monica’ got out the wipes to clean her seat. Oh how we laughed... ...at her.

After an hour, the staff made up the berths and we could all hunker down for the night. With snacks bought before we boarded we all retreated into our little curtained off worlds as the train slowly headed south.

Today’s Highlights The Night Train




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb