Day Ten - Siem Reap to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 30th 2009
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

SR to Bangkok



Day Ten - Two Nights In Bangkok & The World’s Our Oyster...



It was with a heavy heart we left Cambodia - the small taster we had was enough to convince me to return for a few weeks next time. The people are lovely and welcoming; the poverty and recent history is shocking.

We took a taxi to Poipet on the Cambodian/Thai border, a shithole that is infamous for its scams on foreigners entering from Thailand. Thankfully, this isn’t as apparent on the way out as they have nothing to get from you.

We crossed into Thailand across a footbridge and were swiftly stamped in and on our way over to the border market. We rested with a few ice-cold cokes before taking a Tuk Tuk to Aranya Prathet, about 15 mins away. Here we boarded our first class coach, complete with free water and butter bread snacks for the five-hour journey to Bangkok.

The coach arrived in the north of the city at Morchit where we dodged the touts to jump into a meter cab. 20 minutes later we were in our latest lodgings, the Praar Athit Mansions, resting in the cool aircon. Bangkok was hot and sweaty. The last time I was here I stayed in the stereotypical Khao San cockroach infested hellhole - Praar Athit was no Hilton but it was clean, safe and had a great bed.

We had noticed on our way in, a festival event at a park at the top of the street. We headed up to this and found it was a local community event. It looked great fun so we went for dinner nearby with an idea to come back.

Dinner was comedy. The place was designed to be like a Cuban tavern and the waitress was dollied up to the nines. Clearly she got the job because she could fit into the tiny brewery provided dress rather than because of her waitressing skills. We had no idea what was coming but once it got there the food was good - I had a tremendous green curry with quite a fiery kick.

As planned, we took a stroll to the park and they invited the girls to paint their own fridge magnets. Angela and I strolled around the stalls and sat at the river until the girls were ready. Then it was a leisurely walk back to the house and a nice welcoming bed.

Today’s HighlightsTuk Tuk ride to Aranya Pathet bus station; the Thai equivalent of Manuel; and the girls getting to get amongst it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th January 2010

:(
You tempt me with talk of "the tiny brewery provided dress" and then no pics :(
14th January 2010

asahi dress
I brought one home. You can try it on in Liverpool sure.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb