Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 2nd 2010
Published: January 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we've been in Bangkok for the last couple of days. The heat isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting and our jet lag was minimal. Bangkok is rather interesting, but it may not be the city for us. We've decided to head north th Chiang Mai on Monday, but we'll give Bangkok a second chance on our way home, or perhaps mid way through our trip.

We've been staying in a little bit ghetto hostel on Khoasan Road for the last couple of nights, which might be part of the problem with our impression of Bangkok. Khoasan Rd is kind of like Thailand with training wheels. There are far more white people around than Thais.

We spent New Years here at Khoasan and it was really just packed and not all that exciting. We did wander away to a field a little ways off the road and there was a Thai fair going on which had a performance of traditional Thai dancers.

We've also explored the big shopping center at Siam Square. We were really impressed with the extensive collection of English books and the fancy fast cars on display. We also went for icecream, but instead got Ice with flavour (it wasn't too bad)

Last night we explored Chinatown which was overwhelming. We were eager to try out some of the Chinese steet food, but none of it looked at all appetizing. Overall though it was a good experience.

This morning we took a tour to the floating markets outside of Bangkok, which was really fun. We got to go on a little speed boat through the canals and then browse through the stalls of cheap but fun souvenirs. We saw our first elephant and big snakes. We also tried some yummy street desserts like coconut icecream and some sort of coconut pudding.

Tonight we are going to head into town and check out the local jazz scene, which might turn out to be suprisingly good (the book store had a lot of books on jazz, we've already found two jazz bars, and the music in general that has been playing has been pretty good)

Advertisement



2nd January 2010

sounds like a good time already! If you guys don't ride an elephant I'll be incredibly disappointed.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb