The Other Side of Bangkok Dangerous:The World’s Best City


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So what if Nic Cage thinks Bangkok is dangerous? The folks here at Siamese Mag beg to differ, and unlike fiction, we’ve got the entire world’s consensus to back us up - thanks to an online poll of the “World’s Best” by Travel + Leisure magazine. The results for 2008 are final and the vote unanimous, Bangkok weighs in as the best city in the world, trumping last year’s winner, Florence, Italy. Buenos Aires came in at an “oh so close” 2nd place, so if you have love for Bangkok like we do, feel free to take this time and gloat in victory over Argentina and the rest of the world, for that matter.

Just like tom yum soup, visitors brave the city’s heat for its alluring spice and dynamic mix of opposing elements; sour and spicy, sweet and salty - this city has it all, a richness and depth of flavor found no where else in the world. Bangkok, is known to Thais as Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (or Krung Thep for short), which akin to Los Angeles, means “City of Angels” - trust me, that might be the only similarity. To tourists, Thailand is renowned as the “Land of Smiles”, thanks to the infectious grins of its inhabitants. They’ve plenty to be happy about too, as the culture revolves around the “sanuk” and “mai pen rai” attitudes; in addition, His Royal Majesty, the King of Thailand bestows profound freedom upon his subjects.

Freedom in race and religion provide a strong basis in the Kingdom, and along with low-cost of living standards, it generates a powerful magnetic pull for foreigners looking to ground themselves here. Despite the bloom of metropolitan society, Bangkok retains its down-to-earth roots with frantic streets full of hawkers boasting all sorts of culinary delights. Quite the marvelous mix of development and culture when one can use the SkyTrain or hi-tech subway to visit some of the city’s most historical venues, such as the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and Wat Arun. For those of fine artistic taste, Bangkok is also home to numerous museums, art galleries, and theaters featuring the classical and contemporary arts of Thailand.

If you’re adamant and really seeking “danger” or thrills, you can head over to Lumpini Stadium and watch a Muay Thai bout ringside, or even take your chances in the ring! Moreover, the nightlife scene here is widely varied, as there are crowded night clubs in places like Sukhumvit Road and a backpackers’ paradise at Khaosan Road. Despite Nicolas Cage’s upcoming depiction as a hit man in Bangkok’s underbelly, the city remains a considerably safe and healthy place in which to travel. Bangkok is probably safer than most Western capital cities, yet it is still sensible to keep your wits about you and not be too oblivious to the easy-going and tourist friendly environment here. Just keep in mind that the Tourism Authority of Thailand is always willing to assist travelers, as is the Tourist Police force.








Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb