From Vietnam to Bangkok Thailand.....Think of the beaches, think of the beaches


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 16th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pili at the Shanti Lodge, BangkokPili at the Shanti Lodge, BangkokPili at the Shanti Lodge, Bangkok

Awaiting her first Thai Green Curry
9th May 2009 BANGKOK

After breakfast we checked out of our room and took a small walk about around the markets again. By the time we get to the airport a raging storm has covered the city, it’s a little spooky because when we first arrived in Saigon we arrived in a serious storm that flooded the streets and now as we leave the same thing happens, weird!!

At the check in another nightmare unravelled before our eyes. Because of Pili’s deliberately damaged passport the girl at the desk questioned what had happened to the detached documents. We faked innocence; we didn’t think it was a good idea to say about our run in with the bitter manager in Ninh Binh, thankfully the woman in charge glued the passport back together and told us not to say anything to immigration and to keep our fingers crossed. If they noticed that the passport had been tampered with we wouldn’t be going anywhere apart from directly to the Spanish embassy. The next problem was that we found out that the travel agent who booked our tickets in Hoi An had only booked us for 15kg luggage each, we’d paid for 20kg, she’d obviously pocketed the difference. In the middle of the airport we had to strip our bags down and dump some of our stuff. Unfairly I at first blamed Pili for the oversight but after checking the booking paperwork I realised that once again we’d been stiffed, with my tail between my legs I apologised and accepted our fate, think of the beach, think of the beach, think of the beach, I repeated to Pili……….goodbye Vietnam!

Our flight from Saigon to Bangkok was at 1:55pm. We ate a Burger King in the airport complete with plastic fries. I normally avoid this evil like the plague, it tasted like pure ambrosia though, we’ve been so long living on noodles and rice dishes that even a snout and asshole burger seemed like a banquet fit for a king.

We arrived in Thailand in just over an hour; the drive to the ‘Shanti Guest House’ took us almost as long. The guest house wasn’t cheap compared to some of the places we’ve stayed in but it was serene and beautiful, lots of plants a small pool with fish and an excellent kitchen. Our first afternoon was spent just looking around the local area, the market which was just across the road and some of the nearby university buildings adorned in red and gold and so detailed it boggled the brain. It was also very hot.

In the evening we ate our first authentic Thai Curry, Pili taking the Sweet Green and I chose the spicier Red Coconut Curry, both were washed down with Singa & Chang Beer, all will be repeated many times during our stay in Thailand I’m sure. After our travels and rich and varied cuisine we both slept like babies.


10th May 2009

We had a lie in this morning and had breakfast at about 11:00am. No more fishy tasting eggs but a real Thai omelette with real buttered toast; it really is the simple things you miss when away from home so long.

We walked through the market which was opposite the Shanti Lodge. Everywhere you looked live animals, fish, birds and God knows what else, all the animals were scared, dehydrated and awaiting the butcher’s knife. The smell made us gag, how anything is kept fresh is beyond our understanding. I hate to think how much is wasted; very few people were actually buying food. The colours and sounds are captivating but it alls seems more romantic on the tv.

In the afternoon we decided to play tourists and do the temple tours, HELP ME!!!!!
While stood checking the city map and complete stranger offered to help us. We were a little wary at first but he turned out to be a genuine good guy, we decided we were glad to be in Thailand. The guy told us the best Temples to go to and to pay no more than 40Bhat for the taxi. He even flagged one down and told the driver that’s all we have to pay. He also warned us that the driver would want to take us to the jewellery quarter and the clothes warehouse where you can get custom made clothes fitted and made the same day. We weren’t interested in either but we were told that if the driver brings tourists to these places the government supplement them with petrol coupons. I didn’t have a problem with this to much, at least we were told up front.

We visited several temples, I can’t recall the names because I don’t really care, they were
I'm checking out the live fish stallI'm checking out the live fish stallI'm checking out the live fish stall

I still haven't got my head around this
all big, bright and colourful and all had huge Buddha statues. All very impressive to the visiting holiday maker but to e really honest we were just going through the motions, apart from the enormous size of some of the Buddha’s it was just the same-same.

At one such place we met a guy from South Africa and his Spanish girlfriend, Steve and Sara, they were travelling and Steve’s Steve parents joined them in Bangkok. I was muttering to myself that I was disgusted at the Buddhist Monks who catch the local birds and fish, stuffing them in cages and then selling them to tourists to release for good Karma. This is the most hypercritical religious practise I’ve encountered on my travels so far, Buddhists exploiting wildlife, go figure!!! Steve’s mom over heard me and agreed with passionately. I found out very quickly that Steve and Sara had a lot in common with us and we decided to keep in touch and maybe meet up later. Steve’s mom even invited us down to Johannesburg, she really meant it.

We did the obligatory Jewellers and clothes warehouse for our taxi guy who seemed really nice, afterward he took us to the famous Golden Mount with the steep steps and the temple over looking Bangkok. I was up for this just to get the views. We only spent fifteen minutes there before the skies turned the colour of over ripe plums, a deep bluish purple, the storm was fast approaching.

When we got to the bottom of the mount the rain was just starting, falling in raindrops the size of grapes. Our taxi driver had buggered off leaving us stranded; our western expletives filled the dark skies. All the other drivers wanted to charge us twice the going rate, they all new we were about to get soaked and had us over the proverbial barrel. Pili had her poncho and my camera bag was covered, sod it we’ll get wet instead of robbed. We headed back along the narrow city streets which were now deserted, and then the rains really came on. We sheltered for ten minutes as the rain fell like sheets of glass and the roads turned into raging rivers, washing away the filth of the city. We also were approached by a junkie in bare feet and ragged clothes, completely off his face and asking us for money, I gave him a serious glare and he swore at me before I ushered Pili across the street to get her out of harms way.

Pili tried to stop a few taxi’s, all were empty but none of them wanted to take us back to the guest house, I guess they didn’t want wet foreigners in their cars. She did finally get us a ride and within ten minutes we were back in the resturaunt safe from the storm. The rain continued most of the night and we watched the torrents flow down the streets while we ate, drank a few beers and chatted to a couple of girls who were also staying at the Shanti Guest house’. The girls were from Spain and France, Shakira the Spanish/Italian girl told us they heading to a place called the Sanctuary on the South Eastern Island of Ko Pha Ngan, from her description it sounded perfect, we decided there and then this was the place to end our travelling days. Tomorrow Pili would check out some flights rather than taking the huge journey on another bloody coach.

11th May 2009

Today was spent sorting out travel
Dozens of stalls sold the same produceDozens of stalls sold the same produceDozens of stalls sold the same produce

But the markets were very empty of customers
arrangements, Pili’s a star of the highest order, she so efficient with all the booking of flights, trains, buses and every other means of transport imaginable that we’ve taken over months. Left to me I’d have probably ended up rotting in a third world jail for ass kicking the usual unhelpful and rude travels agents we’ve encountered. I think I’ll clone Pili, I’d make a fortune on the tourist trails.

In the late afternoon we take a walk down the famous Khao San Rd. It’s heaving with hawkers, bars, food stalls and every kind of trinket and t-shirt imaginable. The famous touts for the infamous ping-pong shows thankfully avoid us as they tend to target the male tourists, to be honest even if I was on my own I wouldn’t have bothered gawping at the sex tourism, I’ve seen it all in Amsterdam.

We stopped to buy an amazing Kebab, bought some new and fresh t-shirts and treated ourselves to some souvenirs. We came across a street seller who created amazing animals out of old rope and wire. We purchased a dragon a cobra and a elephant. We were a little extravagant but we thought what the hell,
A typical fish stall A typical fish stall A typical fish stall

Fish sold in palm leaf baskets
we are near the end of our trip and we haven’t really bought anything along the way, plus we really liked these very unique and creative works. After feeling a little guilty we sat outside a bar and had a cold beer. We talked to some other travellers for half an hour and then headed back to the Lodge in a very cheap taxi.

It was our last night in Bangkok so I decided I needed to try some of the local food from the street traders. Across from the lodge, outside a seven/eleven was an old guy with a noodles stall on the back of his pick up truck. I’d watched serve a steady stream of people since we’d arrived. The night before I’d checked out what kind of meat he served with the noodles as it smelt so good, pork was the only choice, this made me hesitate as I’m not a fan but tonight I was going feet first into cheap, authentic Thai street food. The choice was simple, I’ll either be served a warm bowl of salmonella or a real treat, thankfully everything was good, in fact I have to say it’s the best noodles dish I’ve had in months and all for under a pound.

Pili and I sat on plastic stools which ate and drank a cold one. Pili chickened out and bought some snacks from the shop. It’s really starting to dawn on us that we are near the end of the road, we’re a little sad but we can’t wait to get on the beach and just relax and get some sun on the beach. Again we discuss our plans for the near future and then hit the hay, more travelling tomorrow awaits us!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

A view of Bangkok from the top of The Golden MountA view of Bangkok from the top of The Golden Mount
A view of Bangkok from the top of The Golden Mount

Little did we know our taxi had buggered off


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb