First full Day


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 9th 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A sign from the Gods?A sign from the Gods?A sign from the Gods?

Jonnyv with messy T-shirt!
Hey folks,
The first thing we done today was get a better hostel sorted for the next couple of nights because i reckon it was only because of mega jet lag that I managed to sleep in the place we srtopped in the first night!

After a quick bite to eat (Had French Toast/Eggy bread-Was well good!) We were persuaded to get a ride on a tuk tuk around the city. A tuk tuk is a small motorised vehicle with room to sit three people in the back, they are basically go karts with something nailed on the back for people to sit on. Our tuk tuk driver called himself "John Marley" because he loved Bob Marley and had really long dread locks- He was very smiley and spoke a lot in broken english, he was a bit of legend! Driving in Bangkok is something else, especially in the tuk tuk because he was weaving in and out of trtaffic and whenever we were stuck in a jam he just drove on the wrong side!!! Imagine doing a three point turn on Lowther Street in Carlisle, with traffic coming at 60mph in both directions!

We went to see the
Marble TempleMarble TempleMarble Temple

Big Buddha is Watching!
Marble Temple which had shrines of Buddha everywhere. Including one outside which was at least 30 metres high. The highlight of that temple though was probably Jonny saying "I could see myself becoming a Monk" quickly followed by a bird pooing on him! It was as if the Gods were giving him a sign that life in a Monastrey wasn't for him!

John Marley waited outside till we finished looking around places and then drove to the next stop, a school for monks. Got talking to this really friendly man who was a Thai history teacher at the secondary school next door- he gave us loads of good information about Thailand, and also informed me that charlton beat Liverpoool 2-0 the night before!!?! (Apparently his pupils were about falling aseleep at their desks because they'd stayed up till 3am to watch Premier League highlights!)

There are shrines and pictures of The King of Thailand everywhere, he's certainly a popular guy! We're hopefully going to the Grand Palace tommorow, to see what all the fuss is about.

We checked out a few travel agents to see about how we could travel North to Chiang Mai after we leave
Me and John Marley + Tuk TukMe and John Marley + Tuk TukMe and John Marley + Tuk Tuk

Me and John Marley + Tuk Tuk
Bangkok. We got some useful information but it seemed they were trying to get us to go on package tours, whereas we want a bit more freedom to go "wherever the wind takes us".

Reckon we'l sample a bit more of the night life later, feeling a bit more refreshed than we did yesterday.

Adios


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Marble TempleMarble Temple
Marble Temple

Outside another temple
MonksMonks
Monks

Three wise Men


9th February 2006

Told You So!!!
Don;t like to say it...........but I told you so. Bangkok is the best dump in the world. Your web site is really good Mike, so keep them coming (the photos and entries I mean)!!! Love you lots. MamXXX

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb