Final Day in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BusBusBus

Us on the bus from Phuket town to Phuket airport. This is one of my favourite pictures! haha
On the morning of February 2nd, we took the bus from Phuket town to the airport, and flew back to Bangkok for our final night in Thailand. After arriving, we took a bus, then the subway, and then finally the Skytrain to our hostel. The subway had tight security, both of our bags were checked by security guards. The guard who was checking Kevin's bag was very suspicious of his shaving cream, so Kevin had to demonstrate what it was! HAHA Our hostel was in the east part of the city, on this really sketchy, deserted alley. haha Luckily it was daylight when we arrived! After checking in, we went out and got some dinner (we had Pizza Hut!) and explored a bit of the neighbourhood.

The next day, we checked out of the hostel and then decided, as it was our final day in Bangkok, that we'd like to explore the city one last time. We left our luggage at the hostel and hopped on the Skytrain. We got day passes, so we could make as many stops as wanted. We saw a few markets, did some shopping and we went looking for the Canadian Consulate but couldn't find
BangkokBangkokBangkok

Interesting building we saw in Bangkok, on the way to our hostel.
it! We also saw a huge war monument and a Buddhist shrine. Lastly We went to a couple of Bangkok's bigger shopping malls. Some very fancy places!

We then hopped on motor scooters to head back to the hostel, which was the highlight of the day for both of us! My driver didn't know where to go, due to the language barrier, so I had him follow Kevin's driver. It was great! We could see why scooters are such a popular mode of transportation. 😊 We then quickly grabbed our bags and caught a taxi to the airport, only to find out that Our flight to Sydney was actually delayed for a few hours, because the plane was stuck at Heathrow (due to a snow storm!). Even in Thailand we couldn't escape old man winter! I managed to kill some time by getting a Thai massage. haha (Thanks for the suggestion, Cam!) We then boarded our British Airways flight for the long ride to Sydney!!

Hillary (and Kevin)


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Important Thai GuyImportant Thai Guy
Important Thai Guy

Billboard of the King of Thailand. There are posters of him all over the city.
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Photo of downtown Bangkok.
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Another view of downtown.
MarketMarket
Market

This is a view of a market as seen from the Skytrain platform. This market was just down the street from our hostel.
SkytrainSkytrain
Skytrain

The Skytrain, which looks very much like a subway train.
Sukhumvit On NutSukhumvit On Nut
Sukhumvit On Nut

The front of our hostel.
Sukhumvit On Nut HostelSukhumvit On Nut Hostel
Sukhumvit On Nut Hostel

Our hostel room.
HostelHostel
Hostel

The view from our hostel window.
HostelHostel
Hostel

The sketchy alley our hostel was on.
Pizza HutPizza Hut
Pizza Hut

Me dining at Pizza Hut. We had the weird baked rice dish. It was pretty good!
War MonumentWar Monument
War Monument

This is the huge war monument in the centre of the city. We couldn't get closer than this due to security.
War MonumentWar Monument
War Monument

Another view of the monument.
GardenGarden
Garden

A beautiful garden, close to the war monument. Look at all the detail! Amazing.
MallMall
Mall

Massive red structure, right in front of a very upscale mall. This mall had stores like Gucci, Prada and Chanel. Out of our price range!
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Huge building with a water slide on the very top.
ParkPark
Park

Huge open park in the middle of the city. There is a horse-racing track on the outside, golf course on the inside.
ShrineShrine
Shrine

Shrine on a busy intersection. Many people were there praying, making offerings, and burning incense.
ElephantElephant
Elephant

One of the many, MANY elephant sculptures in Thailand.
Massage ParlorMassage Parlor
Massage Parlor

Massage parlor in the airport, where I got a Thai massage before taking off.
AirportAirport
Airport

Goodbye Thailand! Me sad to be leaving.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb