getting here


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

well our trip has begun! after a few frantic weeks of tying up the lose ends we finally departed at 8am from Wellington to Christchurch. then CHCH to Sydney and finally Sydney to Bangkok. the flights were average as they can be, emirates put on a decent trip for us but after almost 24 hours and only a shitty one hour sleep i was glad to see the back of the plane.

once off the plane we were greated by the ultra modern airport with it architrectual wonder and super efficent customs system. we were out on the street in 10 mins from landing.

The heat was the first major thing we noticed. unlike what we are used to in NZ this heat washed over you like water. instantly all over your body you are covered in this heavy dense heat (even at 2am). we came to the govt taxi stand and were assigned a driver, who with a taste for speed, a desire to make conversation and absolutely no seat belts we were soon flying down the main highway toward Khao Son road. at this time of night and for our first impression Bangkok was increadiably errie. it felt like a ghost citye or perhaps a skeleton of what should of been there. there are barely any lights on - only the ones that line the roads - no buildings of central areas were lit up - only their dark and sullen outlines could be seen against the smog filled night sky.

the driving here is something else. the ettique is unbelable- on a busy main road, cars, tuk-tuk's and all manner of vehicle duck and dodge all over the place without indication. unbelivably there is absolutely no road rage - only patience. i think this is a good metaphor for thai cultural interactiom - extreme humility. this is exhibited to a point were it is almost embarrasing as u realise that maybe if some of that rubbed on us personally that things would be lot more tranquil.

the arrivale into bangkok was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. the taxi driver dropped us, tired and completely overwhelmed, at the bottom of a road blocked Khao Son Road. walking up that road at 2:30am it looked like a post-apocalyptic party that was just winding down. there were hookers of the road, rubbish everywhere! tuk-tuk drivers asking if u want to see ping pong show, homeless people crashed out in alley ways and mangy looking cats and dogs everywher. to top it off our hostel was overbooked and we had a late nite stroll down back alleys and dark corriders!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb