A boozy week in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 26th 2009
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

P1030458P1030458P1030458

NO SLEEP
Thought it was about time i made an effort to update this..... This is our last day in Bangkok this time around, and i think a week is enough!!

Great place, but looking forward to going south to the islands to relax.

After 12 hours worth of flying and no sleep on the plane, we arrived about 6 in the evening, shared a cab with 2 lads from Bristol to the Khao San Road and checked into the hotel. Should have really got some kip then, but never one to be sensible we went straight out to sample the local ale... After 37ish hours with no sleep & a belly full of booze we called it a night, not before i fell off my chair.... forwards in a packed bar, much to the amusement of all around. I didn't even feel drunk, it was acombination of trainer & chair malfunction. I carried it off well tho!

Next day we found a decent hostel, air con, private bathroom, cable TV, mini balcony, all for 6 pounds each.

We've managed to see loads of the city, on foot & tuk tuk, but we've left a couple of things to
P1030462P1030462P1030462

mmmmmm beer laos
do for the next time we pass through. Parts of it are dirty & undeveloped, 2 mins down the road its beautiful gardens and rivers, then futher down its like New York, skyscrapers galore, and the worlds biggest shopping centre. 6 floors of anything you could want. And Ten Pin bowling, which doesn't cater for my big western feet, squeezing into size nines was agony, agony sweetened by demolishing Roy!

Also walked into one of the football stadiums just as the National Thai Schools Championships was starting. It was like a champions league game, people walking out with flags to music, the teams lining up & shaking hands, which was followed by some preety poor play, i was dying to storm on and crack one into the top corner, but not sure it would have gone down well

Its by far the busiest place i've ever seen. The traffic is mad. A 3 mile journey midweek will take about an hour, but only cost about a quid. Best drivers i've ever seen, bumper to bumper at high speed weaving all over but never crashing, which is good as there are no seat belys. Weekends are ok, and sunny. Its really hot during the week, but no sun, we realised on sunday when the sun was beating down, its all the pollution from the billions of cars blocking the sun.

The Food is amazing, we mix between street food & restaurants, all cheap & healthy. Did treat myself to Scrambled eggs with toast & jam once, had noodle overload & needed some western stodge!

I've also managed to see a gig every night. Gutted about missing gigs at home, so make sure i always find live music every night. Thai's are amazing guitarists!!

Right, thats enough for now, catching a 14 hour bus to Phuket in an hour, so i'll update once i've settled in. We've put our big bags into secure storage so for the next month or so i've only got a tiny backpack to worry about, which is good when its 35 degrees!

Roy's update:

Its great, i've go to see lots of films on my new laptop, and i've also watched the American Office season 2 for the 7th time. Bangkok is ok!

See you in Phuket


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

P1030482P1030482
P1030482

Metal Bar, it was crap, just like Metal
P1030485P1030485
P1030485

Roy meets Stevie G's biggest fan, on his other arm was Robbie Williams England....
P1030510P1030510
P1030510

Great Blues guitarist
P1030557P1030557
P1030557

Can't escape Failsworth.... A booze with Alan Platt
P1030558P1030558
P1030558

Roy getting beat off a Thai girl..... again


26th January 2009

Nice update
I enjoyed that read and fotos, make sure you keep it up to date. I'm realy jealous, I havent got time to watch that many DVD's. Oh well, enjoy yourselfs, may the force be with you.
26th January 2009

JEALOUS
Hi Mate!! Glad you are having a good time and also glad you didnt end up in jail - YET! Enjoy the islands!!! Vic
27th January 2009

Alright Campy!
Afternoon Campington! Good to hear that you are well settled and that you've had a good time so far! Looks like you've managed to get out and about quite a bit and seeing a fair amount! Look after yourself though, and Roy! By the way, I don't actually know if you are joking about Roy's update... :)

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb