The sights of koasan road and more


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hello one and all, we are still in Bangkok and are planning our escape for 7am tomorrow morning. we have had a nice relaxing few days not really doing much though we have spent a bit of money at the giant weekend market with somewhere like 80000 stalls, here you can buy anything from lights to animals to dinner and that includes the pets for dinner too.so one of the main things we bought was a giant wooden toad as the street sellers around koasan road spend there whole time walking back and forth with a small wooden toad/frog and a stick to make the noise of a toad.Heike you will be proud..... the toad cost us 800 thb to buy and along with a few other things we sent home the parcel cost us 3800 thb oops!!!!!! but it will look so good in our home one day. im afraid only the select few will appreciate the name of our new addition "toastie the toad" lol. But before packing him of onto a sea faring voyage of discovery we took some photos and told him we loved him and would miss him deeply......
anyway on to the rest of the crazy bangkok seen, and we are afraid some of you will not want to read this next paragraph so close the blog now. lol..............
We went to see the not so traditional thai side of thailand. And can we just say it was more like a circus show than anything enjoyable but we wanted to go to the night market which we was told was at the same area so we hopped on the free tuk tuk to the "night market/show of ladies" and went in to the show for a few minutes with a canadian couple we met here. we then realised the night market was not on as it was a monday and alot is shut on a monday so we hopped a expensive tuk tuk right back to koasan road (we really should trust our instincts). Though the show was a real eye opener we all laughed at the weird sights and the funny side of the evening. how do people realise you can do these things?? Actually we really dont want to know lol
We spent a few evenings trying out the local koasan road night life and bars and had a bucket drink which is a bucket of vodka and red bull and coke and a great deal of ice. the most enjoyable part of this bar was the icecream sundaes and waffles which we sat eating at 2am leaving the bucket drink for the die hards...... icecream all the way over vodka anyday........... most of the bars have live bands and singers most singing versions of western music including jack johnson, oasis, johnny cash, beatles,foo fighters, all with a thai feel to the songs, the other really loud music is the street vendors selling copied albums of almost any music and all seeming to play hard trance/ dance music at full volume all day and night.
Yesterday we watched the celebrations of the queens birthday, it was great to watch all the thai people celebrate and we saw some traditional thai dancing which was really beautiful, the dress and movement of the thai ladies and girls was so magical. along with the fireworks and happy atmosphere this was a very special occassion.
We have also been eating alot of the thai food though on koasan its mostly tourist styled thai food, the corn on the cobs are amazing, as are the pork on sticks henry said both cooked on outside grills while you wait, the pad thai noodles and thai green curry is fantastic also though henrys taste buds still cant cope with the spices, which i love.......... and the pancakes with banana and chocolate and vanilla condensed milk are also very tasty.
So on the whole we have spent the week here visiting embassies, on the internet, eating and drinking, shopping, and eating and drinking more.......... infact we are off for lunch in about 5 minutes, hhhmmm what to have today.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb