day 6(i think!) - back in to the jungle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 20th 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

if we thought trekking up a tough mountain in very hot weather was tough, bangkok is harder. every where you go people are harrassing you and trying to openly con you out of your money(mainly taxi drivers and tuk-tuks). i like it here but, there is a lot not to like. there is a lot of those loud arrogant obnoxious type here. i will have photos soon of the street we are staying on and it looks cool but you need a lot of energy to walk it, or maybe even will power. we decided that if you cant beat 'em, join 'em, so we are gonna head for a few drinks later.

today we headed for the MBK shopping centre knowing that dunkin dounghts and armani staff arent trained to harass you! this place was huge. it is eight stories high and and each floor is a trek in its self. first things first we decided it was feeding time. so when feeling out of sorts we headed for mcdonalds and gorged on big macs and fried chicken(mcdonalds do a snack box thing here!). after finishing off our feast the usual mcdonalds guilty feeling sat in, but i think we had enough curries and local food for a year in the first few days.

on to the shopping and this is where michelle took over. another few nice dresses and flip flops(we already need to buy a bigger suitcase!) and i got a Thai rugby union t-shirt!. it was six floors before i got to a floor i liked. gadgets. this was like 150 mobile and electrical shops put together. you could buy anything and it was strange to see them selling counterfit in a shopping centre. on the way back down we took the lift(for obvious reasons) and got off on the second for some dunkin doughnuts(one of michelles favourite places).

next it was the task of getting a taxi home. this guy wanted to charge me 400 baht to koh san road while the fella that brought us only charged 150. steam came from my ears and we settled on 250(originally we settled on 200 but he said we would have to stop at a suit making shop so i said make it 250 and just bring us the f**k home!). it can be really testing. anyone reading this my advice is:
1: go to chiang mai instead of bangkok
2: stay up there as long as you can as it has all bangkok has to offer and more

when we got back to our hotel we decided it was massage time. i went for the leg and foot massage again as the beds on the train from chiang mai are made for thai people and not six foot westerners! michelle had the traditional thai massage which consisted of a lot of pulling and stretching. she enjoyed it greatly and we both felt really relaxed afterwards. when my massager( i cant spell massuess) was finished she decided to crack a few of my back bones. it was kinda funny and when she heard the cracks even she went woooooooo! it was like 20 people all cracking their knuckles one after the other.

tommorrow we were going sightseeing. we are looking forward to seeing the kings palace and the river market. say a prayerfor my patientce. (spell check wont work here so excuse the msitkaes!)

michelle is reading at the moment. she's about to finish her third book.(i must be boring). she has also been lucky in that she can sleep any where. the plane over and the train to here was hard to sleep on for anyone over 5ft 5" !!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb