What else can you do but LAUGH?!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 7th 2008
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we have had a crazy few days since the last blog... its hard keeping up with everything we have done! We have had so many moments where we have just looked at each other and said 'what the hell have we gotten ourselves into?!' - at least all we have done is laugh about it!!

Floating Markets & Railway Markets



We were up on the 6th at 5.30am for a day tour with Tong and a couple from Melbourne (Alisha & Justin)... way too early considering the night before... First stop was a little market place just outside of Bangkok which is known as the Railway Market. It is basically a little local market (no tourists) which is held ON a railway track... a train comes through about 8 times per day and the locals basically move all their produce in a little as the train goes though... it was hilarious... we got some great photos and video footage... some do not even bother moving their goods as the train is high enough to go over their stuff!

After the Railway Market we headed off to Benjarong Factory for a quick look and a toilet stop... Benjarong does all the Royal Family china... which is hand painted and very beautiful... from there we headed to the Floating Markets... being Chinese New Year alot of the vendors were not open but there was still enough to look at... we tried lots of different local foods, and had the most amazing noodles from a lady in a boat! I also got to have an iced coffee made fresh and served in a plastic bag!

From the Floating Markets we did another toilet stop at the local wood carving factory... this stuff just has to be seen to be believed.. the photos do not do it justice... some pieces take up to 9 months to carve! We were so exhausted by the end of all this that I fell asleep on the way back to Bangkok. Once back we had to get our bags from the guesthouse and make our way to the dentist again... we called our new best friend 'Dum' the tuktuk driver and made a mad dash to get there just in time..

Rinna had her teeth cleaned and one filling and it cost her 1800 baht (appox $60). I had the mould for my new tooth made and then it was time to get to the train station for our trip to Laos.... and what a trip it ended up being! LOL

The Journey From Hell



We departed Bangkok at 6.30pm in fan 2nd class seats with KFC and snacks... I had a Zinger burger which wasnt even hot and Rinna's coleslaw was some weird tuna salad thing! (She hates tuna so wasnt too impressed!) .. The night was long, it was soooo cold and we struggled to get more than a few hours sleep... I attempted the toilet... but no luck... it was FOUL! The train pulled into a station as I was finishing and I fell forward into the wall, almost knocking myself out... Rinna was not game after my attempt!

At 5am we were dumped at Nong Khai railway station more than a little dazed and confused... we made our way to the toilet.... only to be charged 3 baht each to use it.. squat toilet and no toilet paper. Rinna went first while I waited with the bags and negotiated a ride to the bus station... Afterwards I went and when I got back Rinna was standing in the middle of about 6 guys surrounding her just staring at her... she was laughing hysterically.... we were both so delirious that we were just laughing bent over and the whole station watching us (we happened to be the only white people there!) ...

The guy I negotiated our ride with took us to the tiniest tuktuk we had ever seen and not only were we and our luggage loaded in but another 5 locals! It was the funniest sight but I was too busy laughing to take photos! He dumped us at what appeared to be a bus station but noone spoke English... A guy approached us and kept saying 'border border' and pointing in a direction... we were like "what is he saying? do we have to walk or what?" again followed by us hysterically laughing as he stood within a meter of us just staring and saying nothing but 'border border'... At this point we were so tired and hysterical that we just had no idea what was going on or what to do... about 20 minutes later a guy appeared and looked to be a bus driver .. I asked him if this was how we got over the border and he said yes.... ok then.. luggage on bus and off we went.

Welcome to Laos (PDR)



Once at the border we were dumped at immigration where we had to line up and get stamped out of the country.... then we were on the bus again to cross over to the Laos border... we were dumped here with our luggage where we filled out forms and waited for the Visa office to open up... it opened about 7.30am (1.5 hours after it should have!!)... we gave over our money, photo & passports and then the cranky looking official said "you sit".... so we did.... and waited.. and waited... and waited! Now what?!?!?!? After 15 minutes or so a lady called our names, we grabbed all our stuff and off we went to Immigration to try cross over.. no problems.. once over the border there was a lady sitting there who took 10 baht off each of us and gave us a piece of paper which said "passport holder entrance fee" ... what the! LOL!

Out of Immigration and again we are surrounded by men that all stare, hardly speak any english and asking if we want a tuktuk... now we know there is a govt bus that does the border run into Vientiane but we had noone to ask and suddenly it all seemed too hard! We bartered a tuktuk down to 200 baht and settled in the back for the half hour ride to Vientiane!

We had made the decision the night before that we were over traveling and therefore decided to skip Vientiane, and go direct to Vang Vieng where we have decided to settle for a few days... our tuktuk driver literally dumped us in the city where we found a cafe for breakfast... Laos was run by the French years ago and the influence is still strong.. we wound up in some small cafe with a menu written in French where we were served Cafe Latte's and Croissants! Very French and very weird considering we were in the middle of South East Asia!!

After breakfast we negotiated a tuktuk to take us to the bus station where again we were approached by lots of men wanting us to take the VIP bus instead of the local.... now I am not one for being ripped off so was determined to take the local bus for $1.50 but we were so tired that we decided to risk it .. we paid $7 for the VIP tourist bus with the promise of getting there in 3 hours rather than the 6-7 hours on the local bus... surprisingly we were not ripped off and safely arrived in Vang Vieng by mid afternoon.... next problem? Finding accommodation....

If It Looks Good, Take It!



Again, I am normally organised but everyone told me it would be ok to just turn up and get accommodation. The first place we found was pretty good - $10 but Rinna didnt like the shower... so off we went in the sweltering heat to find another place.... 4 places later with backpacks absolutely killing us we hired a tuktuk to run us around.. every place was either full or shitty!! We finally ended back up at the place we started but the $10 room was gone and we had to settle for the $25 room.. which had gorgeous views of the river but way over our budget.. we decided to stay one night and find something else
Not Happy JanNot Happy JanNot Happy Jan

Stuck at the border and no idea when we can get through!
for the next few nights... we grabbed a couple of Beer Laos (less than $1 each) and settled in on our balcony to reflect on a crazy few days...

Once we sufficiently watered we decided to head out and explore the streets of Vang Vieng (all two of them) and have some dinner. We ended up having Indian at Nazims - 2 garlic Naan, Chicken tikka masala, Chicken Coconut, 2 plain Rice, 2 640ml Beer Lao and all up we spent $11! Wow! I could get used to being in Laos!!

After dinner we went to a small place for an aromatherapy massage, where I fell asleep and snored (very embarrassing) and Rinna's lady squeezed all the pimples on her back and massaged her boobs! LOL! Rinna was very disturbed by this!! We ended up getting a good nights sleep despite the adventure it took to get us here... I don't think we have ever laughed so much but I am grateful that we both are the type of people that can find ourselves in frustrating situations and do nothing but laugh.. I am sure the locals think we are intoxicated though!!

That is enough for this blog... we had an awesome day today and plan to go tubing all day tomorrow... after that we have a 6 hour bus ride to Luang Prabang... so will probably update again in a few days time and fill you in on it all.... too tired now and need food!

A few of our funniest moments we have forgotten to tell you in the last blog...

1. At Suan Lum Night Bazaar I had to use the toilet when we first got there... we had been drinking beer on the way and the trip took about 2 hours in traffic so my bladder was ready to burst.... anyway I get in there and the only toilet available was a squat... no problem I am thinking.. I have used them before successfully... the only problem was I was BUSTING and it decided to come out full force with no stopping it... well it went EVERYWHERE but the toilet... by the end it was all over the floor (including outside of the cubicle) and my legs/feet were covered! Disgusting.. luckily I had my trusty Advil with me so I was able to disinfect myself! LOL!

2. Rinna has two obsessions... food, which I am documenting and taking photos of me while I am asleep on public transport... the worst thing about this is I am dead ugly when I sleep... chew your arm off material.. and I am not impressed!!

3. Rinna has a new nickname... 'Smurfette' - she is literally turning blue... she bought a blue bag and it is constantly running dye onto her... everywhere! Her hands are a permanent shade of blue and even when she uses the face wipes each night they are blue.. hilarious!!

Plenty more to tell as well but that is all I can think of now and I need to get some photos uploaded for you... so hope all is well with everyone...

We love and miss you Mum, Dad, Trent, Mum, Dad & Brendan (and a few others too!)

Love Reet & Rinna xxxxx










Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our First Beer Laos - 640ml $1!Our First Beer Laos - 640ml $1!
Our First Beer Laos - 640ml $1!

Not such a bad background either!!!
Bath time in Vang Vieng! Bath time in Vang Vieng!
Bath time in Vang Vieng!

The kids here are so adorable!!!
Dinner at NazimsDinner at Nazims
Dinner at Nazims

A whole $11 .. oh look Rinna at it again!!
Breakfast - All for under $4Breakfast - All for under $4
Breakfast - All for under $4

Fresh hot baguette, jam, butter, bacon, eggs, coffee/milo, orange juice and fresh fruit!!!
On the move again....On the move again....
On the move again....

Man this backpack is heavy! I am smiling now but not for long!!!
The Leaning Tower of Rinna.... The Leaning Tower of Rinna....
The Leaning Tower of Rinna....

Didn't your mother ever tell you to stand up straight Rinna?! LOL


9th February 2008

You guys are certainly having fun!
Reet! I just loved reading the post. It so reminds me of when i travel and hysterically laughing at everything. Don't you just give up at times lol. Can't wait for the next installment! Wen xoxoxo
9th February 2008

so good
i love your blogs.
10th February 2008

Hi Reet I loved Loas! I really enjoyed Lugang Prabang........you will continue to enjoy great cheap food and beer! Have a great time. x
11th February 2008

What Fun
Hi Ranna, seems you guys are having lots and lots of fun. Wish I was there!! Hope your not devouring the nations food quota while your there. I know you love your food. Its fantastic to read your blogs, you guys make it sound like where there with you. I let Richie know what your up to and he's very intrigued by the live sex show (thats Richie for you) anyway miss you lots. Catch up soon. Love Jo xxxxxxxx
12th February 2008

Hey Reet, Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Love reading your blogs, they are absolutely hilarious.. what fun times. Stay safe. Looking forward to reading more of your blogs. Izzy
13th February 2008

Sounds like you are both having a blast. Your blogs have had me LOL... cant wait to read your next one!!!- Dani and Spud.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb