Day One


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 29th 2007
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, this is what you (or we) look like after 29 consecutive hours of travel. We took our 747 double decker plane to Taipei, Taiwan and then crossed into Thailand. Amazingly, we weren't that tired after all that air time considering we moved a day ahead of California time. We have walked through markets that smell of every odd thing smellable, and some we have never smelt before. We found good deals on live, shreaking eels and Mongolian ribbeting toads at the market (see pictures). We visited the nicest mall I have ever seen, located in the shabbiest neighborhood I have ever seen. We took our first open tuk tuk taxi and Allison almost got out when the driver tried to scam us by dropping us off at his friend's store rather than our destination. We're better at negotiating tuk tuk taxis, but we still can't avoid crazy drivers who take us the wrong way down a one way street, on purpose. We laughed when Allison, after only one day in a foreign country, had to give our Thai driver direction on how to get to our destinations.

We are staying at a really nice guest house with a real Thailand feel. There are tropical plants and on-call maseusses (we're headed there now). Its' crazy; the streets are filled with roaming dogs, vendors selling dried kangaroo meat, (or some kind of meat) and everyone is acting like its normal!

Tomorrow we are planning to visit some temples and national parks. You are not allowed to wear your shoes inside the temples or parts of our guest house. We'd like to go on but we are starting to get tired. Hope everyone is well and we hope we live through this, just kidding mom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th December 2007

Glad you made it.
We're happy you made it safely. Sounds like you're having an exciting time. The blog is great - we're really going to enjoy it. We're in foggy Napa but having a lot of fun. How many hours ahead are you? Take care. Love you both. Kay and Jan
30th December 2007

Jet Setters
Hey Guys...Looks like you are in a beautiful place. Soak it in, you'll be back in dull drab San Diego in no time :) By the way, please buy those poor little froggies and set them free for me! I'll pay you back! xoxoxo Have Fun
31st December 2007

You made it...
You guys look cute, especially in that picture in the Jungle... (it's probably the hotel garden but I wanted to sound dramatic). True to your commitments, you guys did make it to Thailand as you planned about a year and a half ago. You ARE planners! Go to Leo's beach (as in from "The Beach" the movie) and play some beach volleyball for me. Have fun!! Alex.

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb