Postcard to a Dear Old Friend


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 10th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Her MajestyHer MajestyHer Majesty

On the way back from dinner, our hotel greets us like a beautiful beacon in the night
It's so nice to finally be back in the City of Angels (and I mean the REAL City of Angels, not the hellhole we call home)...not much has changed here in Bangkok. Thank God for that!

Let's back up for a sec: we had a hell of a flight from Taipei to Bangkok--which was relatively uneventful until about an hour in, when the plane decided to take a good couple hundred foot plunge out of nowhere. We kind of lurched sideways and it all happened so quick and was over with even quicker...however, being such a debonair and suave guy (and really a master of timing), Billy managed to get a rather loud "HOLY SHIT" out of the top of his lungs, just enough so that our entire section, and perhaps Business Class could here him. Rico. Suave.

Glad to report we made it alive and in one piece, though. Upon arrival at BKK, we grabbed our bags fairly quickly, were then greeted by the reps from the Peninsula (yes, we definitely decided to splurge a bit this time!), and were on the way to our hotel all in a matter of about 30 minutes. Not too shabby!
A little spot of heavenA little spot of heavenA little spot of heaven

...built for two

Our hotel was unsurprisingly glorious. Everyone on Fodor's message boards who have been trying to get us to stay there for ages all were right. Hey. we can admit when we're wrong. And for what you pay, you really get your money's worth here. It almost felt awkward having so much attention paid to us.

Had a meal suited to a king at the hotel...and better yet: DRAGONFRUIT! Yes, the bizarre fruit that Billy has grown so endeared to, yet disgusts the living hell out of David. There were mounds and mounds of it at the lunch buffet and Billy proceeded to eat about half the tables' worth. After gorging ourselves, we headed back to the room to prepare for the spa treatments we had arranged at the legendary Peninsula Spa.

Now, mind you, we were going to head back to our old favorite (Face Spa) but figured, since this trip in Bangkok was really just a layover to our real vacation, that we didn't want to leave the hotel at all. As such, we donned our robes and slippers (like the avowed uber-masculine guys we are) and proceeded to have probably the most wonderful and orgasmic (sorry
Room with a viewRoom with a viewRoom with a view

Overlooking the Chao Praya from our room
to the grandparents reading here) hour and half treatments I think either of us has ever had. I'd proceed to describe it in detail, but you guys would hate us--and it might make us want to go back again just for another hour of bliss.

After our massages, we decided we needed to see at least some of the town and headed across the Chao Praya (the river) in the Peninsula shuttle boat and walked around the corner from the Oriental Hotel to grab some local Thai cuisine at a highly recommended place called Tongue Thai.

We both had fantastic dishes...and Billy slurped down a 40 of Singha. By the time we were a few bites in, the jetlag that we kidded we could avoid hit us like a ton of bricks. We finished up quick (for fear of passing out in our food and inhaling the Pad See Ewe) and headed back to our little piece of heaven on the 23rd Floor.

More to come soon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

This sure beats the RamadaThis sure beats the Ramada
This sure beats the Ramada

No, this ain't the local Thai restaurant, it's part of our hotel!
Slip them the Tongue!Slip them the Tongue!
Slip them the Tongue!

For some killer local chow, head over to Tongue Thai (just don't fall asleep in your Tom Yung Gung)
One last farewellOne last farewell
One last farewell

About to disembark for a long overdue good night's rest--goodnight and goodbye to Bangkok!


12th November 2007

Yay!
Sounds like you two got off to a good start - so happy to hear that you made it there safely! The hotel and massage sound fabulous. Hope the camera is working out well - at least it got to go on vacation ;) Miss you, love you, take care little chickens!
13th November 2007

You're tempting me to switch...
Thought I had 100% decided on the Shangri-La but am now *again* considering the Peninsula! Can't wait to try Tongue Thai! And dragonfruit!
14th November 2007

Ooh La La...
Wow... the Peninsula. Sounds fabulous. So glad you treated yourselves!!! Have fun once you start your "real vacation". :-)

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb