Dyed in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 21st 2005
Published: September 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I'll cut straight to the point - Bangkok is too full of travellers and tourists. But before you think it, we also know that we are part of these travellers and problem. Everything is set up for the westerner abroad - food, entertainment, 'tat'; women! It doesn't have the mystique that many of the remote Asian towns we've visited have had. The experience of Khao San road is OK, but the road is smaller than we imagined - and never having seen 'The Beach' we had no great ideas of its importance.

The city is cleaner than we thought, and has more grandeur, in parts, than we expected. The royal palace and temple (Wat Phra Kaew - temple of the emerald Buddha) is a really grand affair. In the grounds there are buildings hugely decorated, with statues of guards and elephants and more. There's a scale model of Ankhor Wat, paintings, and the famed 'emerald Buddha'. This latter is a bit smaller than I imagined (when we entered the temple I had to ask Gill where it was!) but as it's made of jasper how big could it be.

The unexpected decision mentioned may make the parents cringe (or frown or dis-own - we haven't spoken to them yet), so - sorry all. And it's all Gills’ fault.

Gill got this crazy idea, quite a while back, that she wanted a tattoo! NOW - she found a design that she really liked and that reminded her of Tioman island and the diving - a turtle (or Tao). After a couple of days we found a tattooist that looked good and she took the plunge.

We think all will agree though that it's a really nice design and the quality is excellent. She said at the time that it was really REALLY painful, but I have had to apologise since I thought she was being dramatic. I have also, for a long time, fancied the idea of a tattoo but only if it was a personal, or unique design I really wanted. Gill's decision pushed the issue so I spent a day looking for this illusive design. I also bit the bullet - but it turned out a little bigger than I imagined (although so did Gills) - and you'll have to be the judge of whether it's a good design or not.

(Comment from Gill: I
EscherEscherEscher

Hope you like it mum
would just like to add that Mark also found it very painful and had to conceed that I wasn't being dramatic (although his facial expressions weren't quite as amusing to the tatooist as mine)).

I'm writing this on the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai - in the north - which is where we will spend a few days before moving across the border into Laos (pronounced Lao because the bloody French mispelled it when they invaded). In keeping with our past form, and because trains can't get punctures, we're nearly 6 hours behind schedule because the train broke down in the night and had to have a new engine sent and attatched!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pygmy ElephantsPygmy Elephants
Pygmy Elephants

They aren't real you know!
Scary ThingiesScary Thingies
Scary Thingies

At the Royal Palace again.
Scale Model of Ankhor WatScale Model of Ankhor Wat
Scale Model of Ankhor Wat

Don't need to go there now.
TopiaryTopiary
Topiary

Still at the royal palace
Bit Warm For Ear Muffs!Bit Warm For Ear Muffs!
Bit Warm For Ear Muffs!

Strange travel companions


30th September 2005

Re: Tattoo's.
Atta boy (and please pass along an Atta Girl to friend) on the tattoo's. Escher. Good call. I will be in Vietnam in three weeks and Bangkok three weeks later and i would like to get a tattoo while there. I am hoping to find a traditional tattoist, but will consider a shop as well. How much were your peices and was it fairly clean there?
2nd October 2005

Tatooist
Cheers Kenn, We had our tatoos done in different places. Gills was done in the MBK shopping centre and cost 1500baht. Marks was done at full time tatoo on soi rambutri (they also have a branch on Kho san rd) and cost 2500baht. Both were very hygienic. There are bamboo tatooists around, not sure where but we saw a couple in Chiang Mai. Hope you enjoy Thailand.
10th October 2005

a bloody french or frog!
hi there, yes in real your tatoo are really nice, so 'atta boy', a new expression for me! hope to see u soon on the road again! a bientot et faites attention aux francais car au LaoS, on est en force! ;-) cheers,
25th October 2005

'mines bigger than yours!!'
hellooooo! enjoying reading your journals, both tattoos are very good, but please don't winge about the pain, my tiger that is larger and took 3 hours - didnt hurt. Love love love xxxx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb