Chapter 29. Lemongrass Stains - On The Lighter Side


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 20th 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

You know you’re in a third world country when…

1. You ask the taxi driver if the police are honest, not the other way around.
2. No one can make change in a shop for the equivalent of $10 at nine in the morning.
3. The welcoming committee and your favorite restaurant or guesthouse is a sleeping dog.
4. The taxi fare to the bus or train station is far greater than the one you’re about to pay for the eight-hour, overnight journey.
5. Backpackers haggle over fifty cents on a taxi fare.
6. A bitch in heat keeps you up all night along with the rest of the canine population in town.
7. The difference between a taxi driver and a lioness stalking an impala is indistinguishable.
8. A scheduled three-hour bus journey becomes a five-and-a-half-hour one because the bus driver has a girlfriend at every stop.
9. The handicraft vendors first words to you are “Hello my friend!” in your native language…and you’re from Finland.
10. The local newspaper’s weekly sales circular has a special ad for squat toilets.
11. You interrupt the flow of traffic by actually stopping at a stop sign.
12. The world is your trash bin.
13. You don’t inquire about child labor laws.
14. You check to see if wait staff has put industrial ice cubes in your drink.
15. The best transport vehicle available still has a cracked windshield.
16. Loud and obnoxious music or videos continue for hours, even when the bus breaks down.
17. A family of four passes by on a moped, with a two-month-old infant wedged in there.
18. Everyone in the general population wears surgical masks as a matter of course, but never studied medicine.



Advertisement



24th August 2007

Yukky writer!
What a lame observation! What do you really know about the culture aprt from your short glance on teh street? There are thousands things to learn apart from making idiotic comments on other countries!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb