I've Arrived!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 10th 2005
Published: April 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wow, I'm in Thailand! How did that happen?!

First impressions of Bangkok are mainly just the heat, humidity and the piles of traffic... loads of it.. everywhere! I'm excited enough not to care that I've been on a plane for 30 hours with only vaccuum packed salad and the lonely planet guide to Thailand for comfort and am looking forward to doing a bit of exploring.

1.8.05

A few days in Bangkok were enough really, it has a lot of character but is a bit too hectic (and quite frankly too smelly) to stay for long when you're first away and are looking for a bit of r&r. We're heading down to Ko Samet, a little island in the Gulf of Thailand to do some chilling out and lazing on the beach. Can't wait!

2.8.05

Ko Samet is a pretty little island, but it didn't make a great first impression as not only did we discover it was a haven for stray dogs but I fell over on my first day so took that to be a bad omen! I was wrong though, we soon found a lovely place where they put mats out on the beach in the evening with small tables covered in lanterns where you can sit with your green curry and singha beer for as long as you like and watch the waves. Absolutely beautiful and we ended up staying a few days longer than we'd first planned.

6.8.05

We stopped in Pattaya for a night before travelling up to Phitsanulok via train (for those Devon folk among you, Pattaya reminded me of Torquay on a Saturday night, just with a lot more girls in short skirts trying to get men to go into the bars!). Riding the train up country was cool, probably partly due to the supplies of beer and crisps that we are learning to always take on journeys! But also seeing Thai life whizz past (we saw people sat out on tables on the train tracks!) just makes it feel like a real adventure.

We spent a day in Phitsanulok looking around the town, which was very friendly and quiet compared to Bangkok and we visited the local Wat (temple) to see the Budda. The next day we hired scooters to ride the very scenic route from Phitsanulok to Lom Sak. The bikes were very cool and we had a fantastic day clambering over makeshift bamboo frames to reach beautiful waterfalls and zooming up hills to see breath-taking views of the countryside and watching the locals work in the paddy fields. So fun until we tried to get home and discovered as the night fell that Will's bike lights didn't work and he almost killed himself on the winding roads trying to keep up with me! (We also discovered that I am a speed junkie!!) Luckily the owners of a remote tavern took pity on us and let us sleep in their guesthouse, which was actually the nicest place we'd stayed in yet!

10.8.05

The next day saw us leave Phitsanulok for Chang Mai, stopping at the elephant conservation center on the way just long enough to have an elephant ride and feed them some sugar cane. We enjoyed this and may get a baby elephant when we come back to the UK 😉

We also had a bit of a tour around the historic old city of Sukothai. Here we saw old ruined temples and the real 'big budda' (over 11 metres knee to knee). The smaller one next door we affectionately nicknamed big budda's little budda!

And this brings me to now, to Chang Mai. We have been here a day and we love the place. It is very geared up for the traveller which makes it the perfect palce for us to spend a few days sorting things out (finally getting my website in order!) and we plan to do a Thai cookery class and of course the very popular Hill Tribe Trekking.

Phew, think that's it for now! Love to you all, til next time x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th August 2005

Hephalumps
bring me back a hephalump. they rule, especially if anyone saw elephant diaries when bbc did all that africa stuff. Glad you and Will are having a good time. we (and especially Eve) miss you lots and dont forget out postcard!!! Mike
20th August 2005

Wow!
This journal thing is great - it's really cool to be able to hear what you are up to and see pictures too! Enjoy yourselves! xx
22nd August 2005

Hiya Wally! Can we join you??!! Very jealous, might forget this buying a house lark and just go travelling for the next 10 years! Take lots of care! xx PS Impressed with the hair! x :)
1st September 2005

How dee doo dee
Yo Wally-Bean! I know I expressed concern about the frizzy hair before you went but it looks like you are coping like a true traveller! Not quite enough home comforts for me but sounds like Mel is on the way! Take care xxx
6th September 2005

Wow
Looks like you guys are having a great time, plus I came on here expecting to see someone toting a tommy gun! Where is it? Have you decided if you're coming back via Texas yet - if you really want to see a backwards part of the world that is ...
13th September 2005

Blogging
I think it's just amazing that you, our little gorg Katelyn, has made it all the way onto the web! I know it's been a big step for you, but you've made it, you'te now a blogger!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb