The Bangkok Edition


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 12th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A series of very memorable bus rides got us to Yogyakarta, Java very late 2 nights before my Indonesian visa expired. So, rather than seeing the sites, I spent my 2nd last day in Indo booking flights and sorting out some money issues.

My friend and I flew out of Yogya at 6:30 on the 7th of March, approximately 30 minutes before a plane crash landed at the Yogya airport. Talk about timing!

After a series of flights, we landed in Bangkok. Wow! Traffic! Lights! Advertising! Tourists! Thailand was the land of abundance after the small Indonesian towns we had been staying in. Internet, ATMs, guesthouses, menus in English--it was all very overwhelming and quite welcome for a change.

The tourist quarter of Bangkok, Banglamphu, is an interesting place. Chock full of every variety of traveller, it never sleeps and it is not uncommon to find people still loudly boozing away at the table beside you while you (try to) enjoy your breakfast. It also seems to be a great place to find a local girl- or ladyboy-friend. Just ask the old white guys. Ick.

No question, Bangkok is a hot, stinky, big city with oodles of
CanalCanalCanal

Bangkok
sites, horrible traffic and great food. Spent a few days looking around, sorting out some banking and planning the next move. My friend headed south to the islands and beaches while I, destined for a different journery, booked a bus for the north to begin my search for the perfect motorbike.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb