Chapter Two Begins - Khao San to Lao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I met up with Jesse yesterday afternoon...how strange to see my kayaking buddy in SE Asia. How random that I ran into him! Ha ha. Anyway, back in Bangkok & on Khao San Road that tourist paradise or rather trap as I like to call it. You really do feel like Leonardo Dicaprio in the Beach as he stumbles among the noise and craziness before heading to the islands. Nutty tuk-tuk drivers, crazy cabs, streets everywhere, whew! Jesse & I basically spent the day indulging our senses--emailing, drinking, yummy fruit shakes, eating amazing Indian/Thai food all the while trying not to spend too much money. We stumbled across an Acoustic Party in a park with university students performing all sorts of various musical styles & songs. It was great and nice to just sit & listen to good music even though you can't understand the words.

In the PM we took the night train to Chiang Mai a journey of 14 hours, but don't worry we traveled in style! The 10-car train is filled with seats that convert into beds, not made for the big guy though (Adam you would NOT have been a happy camper 😉 We got to take in some amazing scenery & managed a few hours of sleep after a chilling aboard the "party" car drinking beer with an Irish girl. The traveling nuts that we are breezed through Chiang Mai straight for a bus to Chiang Rai that morning. We were truly set on trekking in Lao, so we figured why not just go! About 4 hours later we finally set foot on land for good & settled into a fabulous guesthouse where the sheets actually smelled like fresh laundry detergent. Ah, the simple pleasures!

We strolled through town where I got to experience the complete opposite of Vietnam (but I still love you!)--no one hasseled me, offered me moto rides, bread, rice, tours, etc. We were virtually invisible. The Night Bazaar sprung up around 6 & we grazed on everything from Pad Thai noodles to spring rolls and Jesse even found American style chicken fingers. Afterwards it was the Cat Bar & a crazy, animated Italian Swiss and lots and lots of pool. The owner had a open mic night of sorts & various folks jammed out. Not bad for no cover charge & dollar beers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb