The Little Bus that Defied Gravity


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 27th 2005
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The road between Siam Reap and the Thai border is notorious for being a test of stamina, as it is "a little bumpy". As previous reports of awful road conditions turned out to be exaggerated, I was somewhat optimistic as we began the journey. Turns out "a little bumpy" is quite the understatement, really meaning that parts of the road are missing, and the remaining bit is pock-ridden with crater sized potholes - and thats just the paved bit. I was literally air-born inside the bus just as often as I was not. Need a visual? Have you ever watched popcorn being popped? At first there was nothing to do but laugh, but six hours and several bruises later it was significantly less funny. Once we crossed the border the remaining four hours were much smoother, and we managed to make it back to Bangkok in one piece.

I skipped ahead there I guess, as last time I wrote we were in Nha Trang, so I'll give you a brief summary of what we've been up to. After leaving Nha Trang we headed to Dalat in the Vietnam mountains for some motorcycling fun involving giant chicken statues. Next came Mui Ne for some quality beach time amidst the rubbish, and met up with Nick for sledding on sand dunes. We spent a few days in Saigon next. While Michelle was getting better acquainted with war history at the Cu Chi tunnels I was getting acquainted with my bed as a fought off a mystery illness. From there we went to Phnom Pehn where we met up with the Irish girls for Joan's birthday after getting a private tour from one of Tessa's friends who lives there and being offered jobs as teachers. Next came Siam Reap and the temples of Angkor, before finally making the arduous journey back to Bangkok yesterday.

Up next I'm heading south for beaches, scuba diving, and rock climbing, while Michelle's off to Australia for footie, koalas, and kangaroos.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Mui Ne stream walkMui Ne stream walk
Mui Ne stream walk

Taken by Anna Youll


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb