Day 4


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 26th 2019
Published: August 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 – Started out looking a bit bleak but a glimpse of clearing weather meant we were off with Gareth & Mika to visit Ko Kret Island. The island dates only to 1722, when a canal was constructed as a shortcut to bypass a bend in the Om Kret branch of the Chao Phraya River. As the canal was widened several times, the section cut off eventually became a separate island. The island continues to serve as a refuge to the Mon tribes who dominated central Thailand between the 6th and 10th centuries and have retained a distinct identity in their version of Buddhism and, particularly at Ko Kret, their pottery. There is also a Islamic community. The walk (or in our case bike ride) around the island is 5.2 kms across a series of raised concrete pathways through village enclaves but mainly rural areas. There are several temples along the way as well as artisan shops selling pottery and fabrics. It was a hot day so we were happy to have overcast skies and a tempering breeze from the river. We returned to Bangkok and joined Akemi and Ron (Mika’s parents) who showed us their tailor shop in the Sheraton and took us across the river to IconSiam for lunch. The building is a great example of modern Bangkok architecture (of which there are many). It is a fabulous complex. The food court inside is spectacular as is the indoor market featuring local produce from all over Thailand. We dined at Coffee Beans by Dao which is a real misnomer for a restaurant that serves fabulous Thai food and many other cuisines too. Akemi and Ron dropped us back at the hotel and we relaxed for a couple of hours before having a meal at the Anantara’s rooftop restaurant which has spectacular views and the food was pretty good too. An earlyish night as we are up early to do a River Kwai tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The food hallThe food hall
The food hall

Flash eh!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb