Cambodia return, Bangkok and Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 10th 2018
Published: March 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 8 March 2018 continued

We waited at the gate and saw the plane come on to the stand.

The airport had quite a few shops and food outlets and was very well set up. Much better than I had expected.

Boarding commenced and we walked out to the plane, which was nearly full.

Only a short flight of about an hour. We were given our arrival cards on board. We circled Don Muang airport a few times, but eventually got down. Smooth landing.

This arrival into Thailand was sort of not planned as we didn't know 100% whether we would do Cambodia or not. So, we thought we needed a visa on arrival. We filled in forms and were waiting in a queue for the form to be checked, when an official approached us, asked us what nationality we were and told us we didn't need a visa and should go straight to Immigration.

So, we ducked out of that queue and joined another massive slow moving queue. There were hundreds and hundreds of people in the hall. They moved people around now and again, which gave the appearance of activity. Eventually we got to a desk and went through simply on our arrival card and our passport and had nothing to pay.

I thought we needed a visa on arrival and am still confused how we got in. Will have to try and look up the visa rules again.

So, getting in took longer than the flight. Very, very frustrating and confusing.

Anyway, we were back in Thailand and headed for the buses. Easy to find and there was an A2 waiting, which went to Victory monument station on the Skytrain, so we got on and headed off. Traffic was bad but not gridlocked.

A conductress took our 30 baht each fare and we sat back and treated it as a sightseeing bus tour.

Arrived at Victory Monument about half an hour latermand found our way up to Skytrain. We had already discussed taking a break at Siam, for something to eat, which we did.

Toilets first, then found a restaurant called Hongkong noodles for a quick meal.

Back on the skytrain and off to Saphan Taksin. A ferry was just leaving and they saw us coming and waited for us.

Across and Mrs Piggy was still there. A stop in the 7eleven for water and back to the hotel. Safe & sound. 9 pm.

Friday 9 March 2018.

Woken early by torrential rain. It rained until about 11.30 am.

We had planned to be off in good time to sort some things out, but held back a little to let the rain finish. We started to get ready abot 10.00 am and made a decision that although it was still raining to head out anyway, as it seemed to be slowing down. Left about 10.45 am and first stop was the laundry lady. She would have it ready tomorrow afternoon. We said we might be out for the day and would she be open Sunday? She asked what hotel and room number we were in and said she would have it delivered, if necessary.

Next stop was the travel agents next door, but they didn't book day trips.

So, over the road trying to keep away from some deep puddles and cars splashing. Managed this reasonably successfully, although our feet did get wet.

Next was to kill more time by getting my haircut. Pat normally does my hair and the last time I used a barber was in Bowen, Australia two and a half years ago. We had spotted one in the Sena Fest mall; Mr Phreen and went in. There was no-one in and I said what I wanted, he said yes.

Pat went to Starbucks downstairs. Turns my haircut was extensive. He trimmed my hair. He shaved my neck. He trimmed my ears. He washed my hair. He hot towelled my head. He cold towelled my head. He massaged my neck and shoulders. He added various lotion and potions, eventually it finished! Cost 600 baht.

Went to find Pat and had a drink with her in Starbucks. She said I was gone about an hour. Rain had almost stopped now.

Saphan Taksin station has no lifts and is very poor for escalators, which is normally fine, but when you have luggage this is a nightmare. We thought to see if the next station down was any better. Krung Thon Buri is much better off for escalators and lifts. We just have to get to there. Maybe a taxi from the hotel is in order?

At Saphan Taksin Skytrain we had seen a Tour booking office and went in to see if we could book the tour we wanted to go on to Kanchanaburi (The bridge over the River Kwai), we could. This is a one day tour for tomorrow, early pick up, no elephants.

Initially, they seemed unable to pick us up from the Hotel, but that resolved itself and pick up is 6.10 am. 1600 baht each. Another objective achieved.

We had not really discussed what we were doing next yet. After chatting we decided on Siam and more retail. With lunch first.

Back on the Skytrain, we had topped our travel cards up earlier as well and up to Siam. In to Central, to the Pizza place, we went to before and another nice lunch.

Then on to Central World. We wandered around. Along the way found a big food court with lots of British makes and found some things we had been looking all over for. Another success.

About 4 pm we had a drink. We tried to find a Dunkin Donuts without success, but settled for Krispy Creme instead and then headed for home. Popped to the 7eleven for supplies and back in the room for 5 pm. Quiet night. We got our stuff ready for tomorrow.

Saturday 10 March, 2018

Alarm set for 5.30 am. Some sleep. Pick up at 6.10.

Showered and got ready. Minibus arrived at 6.20 am at the Ibis. We walked down to the Ibis, where a Scottish couple joined us. Then off and a further pick up in Bangkok. An Italian lady this time.

Out of the City and a lengthy drive to Kanchanaburi. We stopped along the way for petrol, coffee and toilet.

First stop the CWGC Cemetery. Our guide appeared at this point and gave us an idea of what was happening during the day We visited the cemetery and looked around. I signed the register. As always, very sad and sobering, on these visits.

Then off to the museum, which is dreadful. Next along the road to the current bridge and managed to find a coffee for Pat on the way.

We watched a train depart, and caught up with the guide, who told us about the train journey which would be one and a half hours, where to sit and so on.

The train came in and we boarded. Found seats. Sat back and looked out at the scenery. We made a few stops. A good chance to see the countryside. Bananas, sugar cane, papayas and various other things.

Our final stop came and we got off the train and back in the minibus. Then taken to lunch at a beautiful location on the river.

The last thing for us was a visit to a waterfall. People changed buses now doing different versions of the tour. 2.30 pm we left for a two and a half hour drive.
Driven home rather madly., but he got us there, with a wee stop on the way.

Luckily, we managed to get dropped off first.

No laundry at reception, so we got that from around the corner and up to the room.

7.45 pm we went to the Bangkok cafe for some dinner. Nice meal. Back in the room for 8.30 pm.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb