So where are we now?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
August 5th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

AYUTHAYA. Where is it? 3 hours north of Bangkok. What did we do in Bangkok? Let me tell you.

We had a nice dip in our rooftop pool, after switching to a cheaper room. This hotel, THE RAMBUTTRI VILLAGE INN, the staff are SO RUDE and I, Andy told the woman so, shame she didn't understand me!!

We got a ferry down the river, which we had done before and is a nice way to get to the bottom of the city, then got the skytrain to Siam square, a shoppers paradise. We had a walk around the markets, where I think I just escaped being robbed??

As Melissa was unhappily haggling for a couple of genuine fake sports vests, I stood to one side on a raised step. I Immediatley thought I was in a prime position for any dodgey things that could happen. It did! A guy comes up to me and says he really likes my bracelets and asked where I got them from (weird) I instantly got my hand on my wallet. As soon as he asked me, someone a few feet away got their bag snatched, there was lots of comotion. Was I going to be the next target? Anyway when I saw that happen I made my move away!!

It's crazy. It just shows you that even though we have just come from Cambodia into what feels like us to be a civilized familiar territory, you still have to be on your guard. This was maybe just a reminder!

For lunch, after living for so long on rice and veg. WE WENT TO THE KFC. IT WAS HEAVEN!!
Then we went to a big posh cinema and watched Pirates of the Carribean 2. FUNNY and great special effects. How funny is this? Before the film started, we had to stand up for the national anthem! Imagine doing that in England? Bangkok is crazy, but we have a liking for the place.

Melissa later bought herself a 'silver' anklet that she had seen on our previous visit. Then it was bed.



On the Thursday the 3rd of August, we manged to negotiate 2 public buses, 3 hours north to a city called Ayuthaya, where there are more temples. After a 3-4 hour journey AND AN HOURS WALKING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, we booked into a lovely room at a guesthouse called PU. AIR-CON, HOT SHOWER, TV and wallpaper!! That night we sat up on our own in the comunual lounge and watched a movie and 3/4s of another.

We have read that Ayuthaya is a UNESCO heritage listed city because of all the ruins that are there and we intended to see them (yes more temple spotting)
The next morning we hired ourselves a couple of gay bikes (After Melissa put herself some washing in) Then set off for some more temple spotting.
We had a lovely day!!!
The sun was shining, the temples were really nice (Not in the same league as Angkor) the city was peaceful. OH!! AND WE WENT TO KFC AGAIN!!!!!

The temples unlike Angkor were made of bricks with an outside coating of rendered cement, that they must have used to carve out their carvings. Much of this cement had fallen off to reveal just the brickwork.

SO HERE WE ARE!!! Again its now Saturday the 5th and we're sat in the internet cafe having what seems to be getting more common, a restfull day!.
We have also had a little change of plan! Instead of shooting north straight to the city of Chang Mai, we are heading 3 hours west to a national park, called Khoa Yai. Which is, according to the Lonely Planet, one of the best national parks in the world. So we shall see? It contains Tigers, Elephants and more.
After an easy day we finished off by playing cards with a couple of funny Japanese guys, it was fun!

Ayuthaya is a nice city, quite and green, a big contrast from Bangkok. It is actually a city surrounded by rivers, so it could be classed as an island.





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

??????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????

????????????????????????????
??
?

???????????? ????????????
How cool is this?How cool is this?
How cool is this?

An old Buddha head, overgrown by the evil strangler fig.
OH MY BUDDHAOH MY BUDDHA
OH MY BUDDHA

What a sorry ruin.
More ruinsMore ruins
More ruins

You'd think we would be templed out wouldn't you.
Melissa using her road sense.Melissa using her road sense.
Melissa using her road sense.

Thats right Rodney, safety first!!!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb