Ayutthaya Sunset


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wat Phanan Choeng, AyatthayaWat Phanan Choeng, AyatthayaWat Phanan Choeng, Ayatthaya

Attendants sort out the saffron robes for the giant buddha.
After presuming our bus would take us to the Ayutthaya bus terminal, we were unexpectedly dumped on the side of the highway in a cloud of dust after scrambling to grab our bags when the bus attendant suddenly yelled AYUTTHAYA!Such is Thailand! We found some guy who agreed to drive us into the centre of town in his ute so soon we arrived safely at our guesthouse. (PU Inn)
The staff were friendly enough but immediately bombarded us with the hard sell on the 'Sunset Boat Trip'! We decided it was too good an offer to pass up...$16 for the four of us to take a two hour longtail boat ride to some of the more remote temples on the far banks of the river. After a bite to eat and quickly unpacking our bags we were collected by songthaew and taken to the riverside where we hopped aboard a longtail and set off down the river.
We cruised along and enjoyed the spectacle of riverside life....local people having their baths, doing their laundry and washing their dishes in the Mae Nam Pa Sak. We stopped at 3 temples, but the highlight was definitely the last one,
Wat Chai Wattanaram, an
Big gold buddhaBig gold buddhaBig gold buddha

at Wat Phanan Choeng
impressive Khmer style temple built in 1630, with a steep central tower 35 metres high.
We arrived there just before sunset, wandered the grounds, climbed the tower, then settled down in the dusky light by the river to watch the sun slowly sink behind the temple as we listened to the faint rythyms of drums being played in a nearby monastery. It was serene.
The boat then took us down the river further and dropped us off at a riverside Night Market just in time for dinner. We found a spot with a great view of yet another temple across the river (lit up at night) and we settled down to a nice meal of satay sticks, fried squid and prawns with basil. The cook was doing a great job and provided a bit of a fire show with his flaming wok. After the meal we realised we'd forgotten our map so jumped into a tuk tuk/songthaew combo to get back to the guesthouse.
Day 2 in Ayutthaya and we hired a couple of bikes to explore the historical park. You may be thinking 'this whole Unesco Listed World Heritage Site thing is getting a bit monotonous'...well you're not wrong! The kids and I were definitely feeling 'all templed out' so after a brief ride through we decided to have an early lunch and bid our Temple Todd farewell to let him explore his beloved ruins in peace for the afternoon. Lunch was a great noodle soup from Uncle Lek's noodle house (where the kids proved to be a huge hit for the locals) then the kids and I tracked down a pool at another guesthouse and spent the afternoon cooling off with swims, iceblocks and pineapple shakes. Just what the doctor ordered! Temple Todd went exploring for a couple of hours and came back happy with tales to tell including how he bought a bunch of lotus flowers, some incense and a candle, then made an offering at a giant reclining buddha.
With everyone happy we finished the day with another great meal at a street stall, then returned to the guesthouse for our last night in the Former Royal Capital.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Up the steep stairsUp the steep stairs
Up the steep stairs

The central prang at Wat Chai Wattanaram
The KidsThe Kids
The Kids

Goofin' around
Night market after boat tourNight market after boat tour
Night market after boat tour

Deep fried cuttlefish
Very hot wokVery hot wok
Very hot wok

Hua Raw night market
The main attractionThe main attraction
The main attraction

Wat Phra Mahathat, Ayatthaya
Delicious noodle soupDelicious noodle soup
Delicious noodle soup

From Uncle Lek's
The kids against a temple wallThe kids against a temple wall
The kids against a temple wall

Then they hit the temple wall. After enough temple viewing they cut Dad loose and went for a swim.
Face of buddha Face of buddha
Face of buddha

One of the buddhas in Wihaan Mongkhon Bophit
Make an offering for good luckMake an offering for good luck
Make an offering for good luck

Large recling buddha, Wat Lokaya Sutharam.


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb