North Thailand- bootiful!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
February 14th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello and welcome to blog 2 of J sprigsprogs travel diary!! One week on and we feel we have experienced so much- not what u get in stinckley anyway!
We left Bangkok on Saturday afternoon, and unsurpisingly the train north was packed. It was the cheapest option (15 baht/ 23p!) and took about 2 hours to get 50miles north. There were no seats so we had to stand by our bags in the middle of the carriage way as many fat Thai women would come past selling everything from wooden frogs to meatballs on a stick that did look absolutely disgusting- so I had one!! Tasted ok! To say I had a bit of sweat on would be an understatement. At one point on the journey the train was stopped at a station, as there seemed to be a fire under one of the carriages! The attendents sprayed it with an extinguisher, much to the horror of every Thai woman and child, who tried to frantically get off the train as fast as possible. When the train was hot, packed and sweaty, this was not ideal! Eventually people calmed down, the small fire was put out and we were on our
Wats that, yet another Wat?!Wats that, yet another Wat?!Wats that, yet another Wat?!

Some nice Wat action! (a wat is a temple!)
way!
Our first stop was a place called Ayuthaya, the old Thai capital. We went looking for a hostel after locating the bridge crossing, but the one in the guidebook was full. Almost perfectly, a Thai woman drive past in her 'Dennis mobile' (a truck like ures Deej) and said she had a cheap hostel just up the road, and a room for 3! Sceptacal, yet knackered, so we hopped in the back and got driven to this brilliant hostel! There we met an American couple who had been travelling round for 4 years and still had another 2 and half to go- crazy yanks! They were absolutely fascinating and gave us lots of advice and tips. The follwing day we hired bikes out and cycled round the city. Very hot but we sought out the historical ruins of the old fortress and the biggest buddha in Thailand. We finished it off with sweet and sour prawns and a beer on the riverside- a brilliant meal, and mum if you ever go here- even you would enjoy (Baan Khun Phra hostel and restaurant). We had a great night after and got suitably drunk, only to have to get an 8am train in the morning!- hangover city!! Overall tho, a great city and was nice to get away from all the tourists- all the Thais were so excited and seeing the English!!!
Again we headed north, stopping at a place named Phitsanulok. This time the train journey was a lot nicer and we were able to relax as we steamed past the paddy fields and the grazing yaks! This place was a bit dull, but much more affluent compared to the previous towns. We had an afternoon of chilling by the rvier drinking coffee and watching the world/and joggers go by!
Last night we got a train to Chiang Mai where we will spend a few days before trekking in the mountains with the yocals- bit apprehensive but looks amazing as we get to ride elephants- wud be a bit dumbo not to!!
Hope everyone is well back home and not to jealous of my escapades!!
Take care
Jonny x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb