Ayutthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
January 7th 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we are heading by train to Ayutthaya.
This is a small town about 3 hours by train from Bangkok. We are quire excited as this feel like the start of our travels.
We went to the train station and bought our 3rd class ticket for Ayutthaya.
The train is the one that all the locals take and a lot cheaper that the other trains.
To be honest the journey was fine, the train has hard wooden seats and there are no windows so at least you get a breeze. We were unsure where to get off as it was a bit like the Irish trains you cannot understand a word that the driver is saying so a lady beside us told us when to get out.
We landed and walked the short distance to the ferry as Ayutthaya is an island. We then walked to our guest house the UP guesthouse or as the sign indicated the PU house, our rooms was lovely and the staff were very friendly.
This town is full or ruins and Wats and temples it was the invaded by the Burmese several times.
That night we took a tuk tuk ride around the place as every sight was spread out. The tuk tuk driver had a girl with him I think they were on a date.
At night all the ruins are lit up so they look very nice, our tuk tuk gave us a little background information which was good but he persisted with the hard sell that we but a tour for the following day, I spent my time trying to distract his by asking questions and he would forget the hard sell for another 2 minutes.
The following day we decided that the only way that we would get around was to rent a scooter as our over night train to Chaing Mai was not until 23.30.
So we rented the scooter for 6 euro for the day. I was very reluctant at first but knew it would be faster than cycling. So we headed off wearing our helmets and we were quite noticeable as we were the only 2 in the whole place that wore them.
I think the locals were a little impressed as they do not see many farang on bikes.
So we spent the next 9 hours visiting every wat and temple imaginable.
We got to see the largest gold Buddha in Thailand, as well as the Buddha in the tree, the sitting down Buddha and so on.
There was so much to see that one could spend a week here.
At the end of the day my ass was killing as it was the second time that I have been on a bike in my life.
We killed about 3 hours at the B&B before we headed for the over night train to Chiang Mai, we were headed for trekking land.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb