Another great day...


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
June 27th 2007
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Legislator Bi-khim HsiaoLegislator Bi-khim HsiaoLegislator Bi-khim Hsiao

The Congresswoman is in the middle of the group. She is right about my age, I understand.
Today we had five meetings. Five meetings does not sound that daunting, but the formal meetings with the other activities including meals add up to days that are so exhausting that I can recall few days during the legislative session when I was as completely worn down as right now. I'll feel better when I sleep and a lot of it is the humidity that this desert boy will never get used to - even as humid as it is in Central Texas in the summer.

I don't feel sick, but no one else in the group is sweating like I am. It's kind of gross; I think I'd be able to tell if I had a fever. I guess this weather just gets to me.

Today we met with the following: Legislator (Congresswoman) Bi-khim Hsiao; John Deng, Chief Negotiator of the Office of Trade Negotiations; Benjamin Liang, Minister of Foreign Affairs; Mark Tan-sun Chen, Secretary General of the National Security Council; and Chia-lung Lin, Secretary General of the Democratic Progressive Party.

Unfortunately, some of the most interesting places we go will not allow cameras - the American Institute did not allow them and the Presidential Palace
Hsi-wei Chou, Taipei County GovernorHsi-wei Chou, Taipei County GovernorHsi-wei Chou, Taipei County Governor

Unfortunately, got no great pictures of him...
did not allow them for our meeting with the Secretary of the National Security Council.

Looking at the list of meetings we have been having, you might think it would be easy to pick out which would be the most interesting. Every single meeting we have had has been informative and captivating, but some people we meet with impact us more than others.

Some of it has to do with the time of day we meet them - end of the day we are all zombies. Some of it has to do with our own backgrounds and what each of us find interesting; some of it has to do with the age of the person we are meeting with in relation to ourselves.

But I would have to say that the meetings we left when I heard the most colorful comments were not the ones you might expect. They were the Governor of Taipei County - maybe we'd call him a County Judge - and the young Congresswoman we met with this morning.

More than anything, this might reveal our - well, i'll just speak for myself - my underlying and unintentional biases. Those two individuals
Benjamin Liang, Minister of Foreign AffairsBenjamin Liang, Minister of Foreign AffairsBenjamin Liang, Minister of Foreign Affairs

This was taken after an incredible, multi-course lunch at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
are young, charismatic, and U.S. educated. I think I just found more in common with them in ways that were not outwardly quantifiable.

Interestingly, those two particular individuals belong to the primary political parties in Taiwan who oppose one another. And more than once we have heard comments from residents of Taiwan about their star status and bright futures in politics in this country.

Our draw to them, though, makes me wonder how much we are missing due to our innate tendency to seek out those most like us. And i find it entirely possible that some of the qualities that most draw us to those individuals could potentially repulse voters native to Taiwan. But from everything I can tell, these two, young politicians are representative of the future leadership of Taiwan in energy level and political sophistication.

(I will write more in your afternoon - I have got to get some sleep. I have a lot more about today to write about...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Several of the Leaders of the DPPSeveral of the Leaders of the DPP
Several of the Leaders of the DPP

The Democratic Progressive Party is the ruling party by holding the Presidency and is the primary party in the Green coalition of parties.
Chia-lung LinChia-lung Lin
Chia-lung Lin

Secretary General of the DPP


27th June 2007

You look busy....and a little tired....but not sweaty!! Your days sound pretty full....when is play time?? We'll treat you to Matt's when you get back....Nothing much going on here except we are expecting Noah's Ark to arrive on Lake Travis any day now!! Unbelieveable rain we are getting and we have days to go with more rain! Have fun....S
27th June 2007

Shiny, not sweaty
Nice picture with Benjamin Liang. Are you on the left or the right? Just checkin'.
27th June 2007

One more...
I also love that the Secretary General of the National Security Council's first name is MARK. How do you think he feels about being a male secretary? Just askin'.
27th June 2007

Enjoy the bloggings
David: I enjoy reading your blogs.........what an experience you are getting to embrace! Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to reading the next blog! Jenn
28th June 2007

Names
It seems like most the people who have American sounding first names have them because they studied somewhere in the U.S. In "Mark"'s case, he was actually a citizen of the U.S. before he renounced his dual citizenship and moved back to Taiwan to become the head of the National Security Council.

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb