Love Milk


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Tainan
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

A quick trip to Anping on the west side of Tainan. It was ruled by the Dutch for just 38 years but they are the ones who got the town started and established it as an important place for trade back in the 1600s. At that time Anping was an island, but since then there has been a build up of silt and it is now connected to Tainan. In 1661, some bastard named Koxinga was running away from enemies in mainland China, and ended up attacking Fort Zeelandia in Anping. The Dutch guy in charge of Anping at the time was kind of a bum, and he didn't get any Dutch reinforcements to help him fend off the attack. So that jerk Koxinga took it over and the Dutch left forever. Koxinga became the King of Taiwan and established it as a haven for people who were opposed to the Qing Dynasty in China.

There's also some pics from a 'BBQ' hosted at Shiny's house. No gas was used for the grill; they spent some time to get it lit and fanned the flames. No one was the grillmaster either, different people at different times would play with the food on the grill. One girl had her own name tattooed on her arm, in fancy latin letters, so maybe it was like an american getting a chinese tattoo. Anyway, I haven't met many people with tatts here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Actually on old factoryActually on old factory
Actually on old factory

that got taken over by the Banyan trees


24th June 2009

My history lesson:
AnAnping Fort: Rich colonial history, possible future flashpoint Nearly three centuries ago, the Dutch stormed the shores of Taiwan and seized a military bastion near the beach in Tainan as their command center. They called this place “Fort Zeelandia,” (n-!) and put the finishing touches on it in 1634, replete with mounted cannons, high brick walls, and a lookout tower to keep an eye out for aboriginal or Taiwanese insurgents. Long after the gunpowder plumes and cannon blasts have settled into history, what we have inherited today is a lovely park shaded with enormous, gnarled banyan trees reminiscent of those found in Angkor Wat — almost — and bullet-chipped brick walls surrounding a museum-like fortress.......TOO BAD for the DUTCH, they could have had a DUTCH WONDERLAND!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb