University of Peradeniya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 7th 2006
Published: January 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We started classes two days ago. Since starting class, it has kept me very busy and it is difficult to find time to write.. especially with all the interesting things that have been happening!

Yesterday, we had an interesting lecture on herpetofauna (amphibians and reptiles) followed by a lab demonstration and a field trip. The assistant guided us along the stream on the University Campus in search of reptiles. While on the field trip, we got attacked by leeches! It was the first time I ever saw a leech in my life. If you can imagine this: it was a wormy like shape. The scary thing about it was instead of crawling, it would try to burrow itself into you. So it would raise its head and dig it into your shoe. When unsuccessful, it would start crawling up your shoe in search of warm hot blood. Not only that, but the little critter is not like a slow slug.. it moved really fast and very evasive! They were all over the place! That is our most recent adventure. Sorry, still don't have time to post pictures, and now we are being ushered out of here for lunch. I hope all is well, and don't be afraid to post comments on my blogs =)

Advertisement



7th January 2006

i certainly hope u got lotsa pix of those leeches. it sure sounded appetizing! =)
8th January 2006

leeches...
ewww......that's nasty. so did you evade them, or did they evade you!? hahaha... :-) have fun over there. i'm off to machu pichu and the jungles of peru for a month tomorrow.
8th January 2006

eek!
that is so scary Somala! Leeches..ugh! I'm glad to hear how exciting it is though. Sounds like a real adventure! I'm really looking forward to some pictures.:)
9th January 2006

Attack of the Killer Leeches
Now that sounds like a great b-movie. Ahh, the glamour of travel in remote areas. Leeches, huh? Thats one critter I haven't had the pleasure of crossing. Lucky you. Keep the posts coming. Makes me think I'm somewhere but here. Cheers!
13th January 2006

from Prof Pearce
Nice writing, Somala. Maybe you can add a little of what you are learning to your entries.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb