No. 240 bus to Colombo


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
February 26th 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Having had the fear of god put into us by the Sri Lanka tourist book about travelling on public transport we had decided today was the day. With warnings of grabbing, gropping and rapes, we took necessary precautions. Dressed from head to toe in big baggy clothes, padlocked rucksacks & appropriate running shoes to flee from the baddies, we were feeling pretty confident in our armour for our battle with the bus. As we got on the empty bus, now overdressed, hot and carrying the weight of a small elephant on our backs, we sat guiltily as old grannies, school children and the nice folk of Sri Lanka got on after us.

The bus went slow enough to catch a look at the locals chatting on the streets, the mixture of shops (some advertising "All imported from U.S.A." and other more basic markets) and of course, no Sri Lankan journey would be complete without the rally racing car show from drivers with the sole objective of getting from A to B as quickly as possible.

After 2 and a half hours, the ride was over. We crammed our bags into a blue tuk tuk for the next stage of our journey and sped through the interesting busy streets, trying to ignore the empty bottle of whiskey on the front seat!

Advertisement



26th February 2013

Carradale calling
Glad you had the baggie stuff with you - always better to be safe than sorry! Rich coming from the bad influence eh!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb