A Day Out With The Elephants!


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province
March 8th 2013
Published: March 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I would have classified myself as only a borderline wimp, however this time it has been one cockroach too far! From the confines of our mosquito net protected beds, we watched the cockroaches on the floor, lizards on the wall and a collection of mosquito looking beasties hovering around.

Traumatised and tired we woke at 4:30am to visit some more unusual animals in Yala National Park. As the sun rose our jeep approached the dirty orange, uneven track that led into the depths of the green park. After a slow and extremely bumpy start we had only seen a few white spotted deer and the driver was clearly getting tired of spotting out peacocks.

We then spotted an elephant in the bushes which slowly made its way towards us and gave us a good show, eating leaves and turning around for us. Within a couple of minutes it had disappeared back into the trees again-unlike the German lady who we endured for the entire 7 hours, who proceeded to cry, point and shout at any animal she seen (particularly the elephants to which she blew kisses).

By the end of the safari we had managed to spot quite a few animals including cheeky monkeys, alligators, a family of elephants, gheckos, pretty birds (not their official name I realise), buffalo and not a cockroach in sight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




12th March 2013

sooooooooooooper
Wow great pic,

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb