Sri Lanka Tissa


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Tissamaharama
February 18th 2020
Published: February 18th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 16 February, 2020, cont'd.

We had a quiet afternoon. I did a little packing, as we are leaving in the morning. Lights out 10.00 pm.

Monday 17 February, 2020.

Today we transfer from Mirissa to Tissamaharama (known as Tissa).

A reasonable night's sleep, stirred at 7.20 am. Down to breakfast and we actually managed to get some eggs, sausages, toast and coffee quickly from the younger lad who doesn't have a clue.

Spotted the better English speaking guy and paid the bill. Told him we have a taxi booked. Back to the room, to shower and finish packing.

Brought the cases down at 10.20 am and waited for our driver. Two German girls arrived and we talked with them. Car turned up at 10.50 am, a Toyota Prius and we loaded up and left. The driver is from Tissa and knows where we are going and the owner.

Little to tell about the journey, we mainly followed the coast and had to deal with all the usual red buses, which are nutters, the motorbikes, tuktuk's and general traffic. The roads were mainly single carriageway going through the villages and towns. Along the way the driver wasn't really chatty, but towards the end he offered his services for other occasions and our next trasfer.

We did arrive safely at 2.00 pm, paid the driver and he departed.

We were welcomed by three ladies. I felt bad when they carried our luggage. The rooms are much better than our last place, which was dreadful. But of course we are paying a little more each night and as with most things you get what you pay for.

Paid the driver and he was gone. We were given a welcome drink of pineapple and we asked for something to eat. The girl called the owner who came back from somewhere else, as he is the cook.

We had a chicken & avocado sandwich and a chicken noodle soup. My soup was almost a stew with all the stuff in it and was very tasty.

Pat was feeling a little under the weather with a headache, so we went into the room at 3.00 pm and had a quiet few minutes.

At 4.00 pm we popped out to get some air and have a minor explore, as we needed some water and milk. The town was not too far and we found a supermarket and purchased our supplies. Back to the room and a stinking hot steaming shower that was almost orgasmic.

We had pre-ordered some dinner for 7.00 pm. What we ordered was actually a breakfast, the reason being it included “egg hoppers”, which are a local dish that we had yet to experience and wanted to try.

Dinner was delightful, the egg hoppers are eggs cooked in a pancake/batter mix shaped like a bowl. There was toast made with local bread, butter and a preserve. Then a variety of fruits to finish.

We talked to Indika, the owner after eating and ask if he could arrange the half day safari for us on Wednesday morning and a shared minivan transfer to Ella on Thursday.

In the room 8.00 pm. Lights out 10.10 pm.

Tuesday 18 February, 2020.

Reasonable nights sleep. Dogs barking in the night.

Plan for today is to potter around Tissa.

Stirred 7.00 am. Outside the room on the verandah for breakfast at 8.00 am. Omelettes, toast, coconut roti's, fresh fruit juice and other local dishes. All lovely and too much. We were offered fruits as well, but declined. He said we could have them for lunch.

After showering and slowly getting ready we left the room at 10.00 am and went in a different direction up the lane to the town. Seems to be market day and lots of people about. We found our favourite ATM, Bank of Ceylon and took out some cash.

We left the town centre and headed towards the lake. Simply strolling along taking in the sights. They do small boat trips round the lake but we weren't interested.

I keep forgetting to say that every where you go, there is a smell of burning, it seems that people burn their rubbish in little piles in the garden. There are ashes on the ground all over the place.

We went to get closer to the Stupa, that we had seen in the distance. As we walked along people were washing and bathing in the canal / river.

Back into the town and visited our current go to supermarket for water then back to the room for 1.00 pm. We pre-ordered some food for our dinner later.

At 1.30 pm the fruit showed up, as promised.

Another thing I keep forgetting to mention is the weather. In short it has been hot. We have had rain once for half an hour. Temperature generally in the 30's (Degrees C).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb