The art of doing nothing in Mirissa


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Matara » Mirissa
October 23rd 2011
Published: October 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Little upgrade about Bangkok. We are now Monday morning and still dry, I think we are going to stay dry. Thanks a lot for all your messages.

It's beach time! Our first stop, the little village of Mirissa. Mirissa is 120km west of Tissa. I couldn't find a transport for a reasonnable price, so we decided to go by three wheelers. We cut the trip with a first stop in the little fishing town of Hambantota. There we found a second three wheelers, a way more roomy one. Cost for 120km, 30usd. The experience is a fun one. The weather was beautiful, and the ride too. We just had to be patient as it took us close to four hours to cover the 120km. This included a stop of few minutes for our second driver to enjoy his Friday Muslim prayer. I must admit I really admire the religious diversity of Sri Lanka...not that many people around, but what a diversity!

Once arrived in Mirissa, we visited few guest houses before setting for the Mirissa Beach Inn. 18usd a night get you cold water, a fan, 4 beds, a little terrace....but the best, just few meters to the beach and no need to cross any road...great for the kids!

South Sri Lanka beaches are great for surfing. Which has a side effect for us. We had to be careful with the waves for Tiffany and Leslie. This didn't stop them to spend hours each day in the warm water.

What did we do in Mirissa? Not much! By now we are getting used to the daily rain from 3pm to 6pm...so that time is left to play some card games...anybody knows Solo or Uno?

The food at the Mirissa Beach Inn was pretty impressive too. A lot of seafood...and few beers...

Sadly, with those waves, the sand on the beach is disappearing pretty fast...so we had a beautiful beach, but a pretty small beach....

The pictures will speak for themselves. Some people spend weeks at a time here doing nothing...we did it for 48 hours which was pretty fine for us.

Mirissa was also the nicest beach place we saw in Sri Lanka....but we did not stop in Weligama or Unawatuna.

Next entry coming soon, finally a little diving in Sri Lanka....

With love!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st October 2011

Hi guys, glad you are all ok there in Bangkok...hopefully the water will stay away! It looks like you had a fab time in Sri Lanka - we'll get there soon. Those waves look fantastic and it seems like Leslie and Tiffany really enjoyed playing in them! Stay dry! Donna and Neil
31st October 2011
and in the evening, it's relax time...

I was wondering when the obligatory photo of you and a cigar was going to appear! Enjoying your blogs on Sri Lanka - might be our next destination if the time is right!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb