Snorkelling in Hikkaduwa and trip to mines


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Hikkaduwa
August 7th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we hired some snorkelling gear and went to the beach. We were told where the corals are and where it is best to snorkel. As soon as we got near the beach we were asked if we wanted to go on a glass bottom boat. We preferred to try out some snorkelling first but actually ended up going on a boat as we were the only white people on the beach and I didn’t fancy being looked at in my bikini and snorkelling stuff. The beach was full of locals. They all get in the water fully clothed. So anyway we paid 1000 rupees (about £6) for half an hour on the boat. The water was very choppy and it felt at times like the boat was going to tip over. They drove us near to the coral and we saw a few coloured fish. Then he stopped the boat and we put on the snorkelling gear and got in. Oh my word I found it a bit scary only being able to breathe through the snorkel and then going under the water. The water was a bit murky to see much, but we were able to see a bit of coral. Unfortunately it was all dead, I do hope its better in Borneo. It was an experience anyway!

In the late afternoon we went to see the only Moonstone mine in the world. We took a tuk tuk and drove along the coast to get there. We actually passed the area which was badly affected by the Tsunami and could see a lot of destroyed houses. You could just see a few remains of the walls. Really sad. We saw a lot of damaged houses on the way from Colombo to Hikkaduwa on the train too.
The Moonstone mines were interesting. We were taken to see one of the wells. 2 men go down the well at one time for two hours then take a break. The men at the top of the well pull the soil they have collected up in buckets. Then they sieve it to find the moonstone. We also got the chance to look at their little factory and briefly watch them making jewellery with it.

Early night for us today as we have to be up at 4am(!!!) to go to a national park for a jeep safari. I will defo be taking the travel sickness pills for that!

Ps, I have added more photos to the last 2 entries, please take a look



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th August 2010

great pics. what a holiday!
Next year Butlins....Lets see some pics of you Helen. You need some of you to prove to yourself you really went to Sri lanka, to look at when you are in sunny Manchester.
8th August 2010

We have just been through all the pics again
Seen a lovely one of you Helen, by the pool. Very nice. I hope its warm!
8th August 2010

Pool
i think the pool would have met your high standards. Even you would have taken 5 seconds to get in!! I'll try and put more pics of me on from Dan's camera

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb