The grand finale


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Hikkaduwa
December 4th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The route to workThe route to workThe route to work

The railway line is also a great short-cut if you remember to look for trains.
My time at the Child and Youth Development Centre came to an end with a fitting climax - the end of year Pre-school concert. The little ones had been practicing since I had started at the centre, so it was nice to finally see them in their costumes. The stage preparations had gone on long into the night but it was great to see everybody turn out for this big event, including the founders Dr Jayasena and his wife. The school will close for the Christmas holiday later this week and I am starting a 5-day whistle-stop tour of the tourist highlights of the island (in the safe areas of course).

I have included a selection of photos from my last days at the centre. It will be a pleasure to return next year and feel welcome at the centre and in the village again. It has been a great experience for me and hopefully rewarding for all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pre-school studentsPre-school students
Pre-school students

Students posing for a photo after class.
A low pointA low point
A low point

It is frustrating when you can't get a PC working and then the roof starts leaking. All you need now is yet another power-cut. Poor Srinath deals with problems like this regularly.
A high pointA high point
A high point

The new office PC that I have donated to the centre is up and running. At last we a higher specification computer that we can use to maintain the others.
Donated bookDonated book
Donated book

Presenting a computer book donated on behalf of Leicester World travellers to Rucheria (PR Officer).
Pre-school concertPre-school concert
Pre-school concert

Tea picking dance.
Pre-school flowersPre-school flowers
Pre-school flowers

A garden full of pre-school students.
Rucheria and SrinathRucheria and Srinath
Rucheria and Srinath

My colleagues and friends under the sign for the centre.
The Founders.The Founders.
The Founders.

Dr and Mrs Jayasena visiting from Colombo for the concert.


8th December 2006

Well Done
Neil, I have been tracking your escapades with great interest and found you had settled in the groove very fast. Your trip has been for a noble cause and the smile on your face tells me that you have achieved or atleast partially achieved your goal. Well Done!! Have a nice sight seeing and safe journey.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb